• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Monday's report on the Shoe

Mr Special

You can drive to the meth hole, just access it from the winter access (south of meth hole on 22) and not from the river. Sounds like the meth hole has still been producing cats, although it can be hit or miss.

Made it out to the Chain today. Started fishing around 10:00 am and quit about 3:30. Fishing wasn't fast and furious, it kind of went in streaks and one here and there. Fish were very finicky. Spring bobbers were the ticket. Glow jigs in white, with at least two minnows on it. Which I found wierd, for such a light bite, they still wanted a large amount of bait. I tried downsizing, and it just was not as consistent as a 3/8ths oz ball jig and 2-3 minnows on it. Over the course of the day, the numbers added up, we caught 25 fish, keeping 5 for a fry. No piggys, biggest was just under 4 lbs, most were in the 1.75 to 2.5 range. Dropped a few before we got them to the hole and missed many light biters. Could see them on the vexilar, some riding high off the bottom, would pull a jig up to them, just a sniff maybe mouth the tail, but not one fish came to the hole from a suspended bite. Did get three on a pink glow demon style jig, with a single minnow under a float. All within a foot of bottom. Put the camera down, no luck, water to murky, and suspended particles. Ice where we were was about 10 inches maybe, no truck traffic here, sleds or wheelers. Overall a fun outing. We did use up two scoops of fatheads, three scoops next time.

Thanks for the report.

Don't need your Honey Hole. But which parts of the Chain were ya on?

Cause another post just said it was Ok to drive to the Meth hole. I just don't wanna go into the drink that's all.

Again Thanks

Hey Phil-

Its 'safe' to drive to the Meth Hole from the "winter access" off HWY 22. You can't miss it, its towards the south end of the chain and there is a road that goes to the east onto the lake and a road that goes to the west onto the lake. Do NOT go out of the DNR marked "public access".

To be safe, do not drive through any "narrows" areas, under bridges, etc. Stick to where others have driven. There should be a beaten down path from the "winter access" to the Meth Hole.

I would prefer that "grab the net" does not post where he was fishing, although I have an idea.

Phil-

Here's a map. I posted it in the Cool Cats topic. Stick to the red path and you should be fine. The "Meth Hole" itself is apparently marked with stakes. Just stay away from that area.

coolcatsmapma4.jpgimage]

I do have Monday off but will be up at Upper Red Lake.

Just watch your electronics. The cats may be glued right to the bottom if you see a flicker on top of the bottom on your depthfinder. Small cutbait right in front of their face or pound the bottom with a jigging spoon and see if you can't get them to rise and separate a little.

Quote:

Cool sounds sweet!!!! Thanks Chris.

Do you get monday off? Cause Ryan and I plan on going monday. Wanna show us how it's done?

"Grab the Net", no worries don't post, .

Phil, I'll teach you the ways of the cool kitties.

It's the flatheads that I have problems with crazy.gif

It's not my spot, I was a guest that day and can't reveal the location. All I can say is if you look at a map it is a very very obvious location. Although I have not seen very many people fish there in the winter. I am hoping to get back out on Monday also. We will all have to post in the pm on how we did. I stocked up on glow jigs at the St. Cloud Sports show. Which I might add was much better this year than in the past. I am not even sure why, just seemed to be more to look at and as always with any sports show, IMPULSE Buy!!!

No worries bud.

But WWG, Ralp Wiggum, and I made it to the Meth hole yesterday. We got there about 9:30am. Didn't take RW too long to hook up with some kitty's. While WWG, was picking at the Walleye's and RockBass. I tried to tell him not to bother with the rough fish....LOL crazy.gif

I however couldn't buy a bite. Had plenty of lookers, just to takers. At about 1:00, we decide to make a move. I was determined not to get skunked. A few minutes after setting up, I had a kitty on ice. ooo.gif

We decided to call it a day around 2:30. The fishing wasn't Hot & Heavy, "to be honest" down right slow. I think we ended the day with 4 kitty's, 1 wally and 1 rockbass. But the company was great, weather was good and we were fishing. Pretty darn good way to spend a day off.

WWG, RW, will have to try and get out again before the ice melts.

Everyone esle thanks for the tips and info.

Later