• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Manitou Report...Feb 10-12

Two of us fished on Manitou over the weekend. This was one of the best trips I've had. We kept our limit of 2 each and carefully released 29. Our best bite was in 28-32 fow. About 6 of them were 8-10# and one 12#. I'll post a few pics if I can...We tried for some eyes, (other lakes) but once again no luck. I'm still on a mission to figure out those walleyes up here in the winter.

CNG,

Boy, now you really got my blood pumping smile.gifsmile.gif

Those are some NICE trout!!!

I am heading up with 4 others from Duluth thursday afternoon and spending the weekend up at Camp Manitou.

I'm a little suprised at the shallower depths, we normally start in @45-50 and go from there, tho my biggest laker thru the ice came out of 24'. Maybe they were pushing bait shallower....If you had a few minutes and dont mind sharing a few tips you could email me at cedland99 at hotmail (Contact Us Please) grin.gif

I know that we're planning to head into the main part of the lake one day and try around manitou island and maybe up near barker bay, and if we have time, up to the beaverhead islands area. The temps are looking decent for friday thru sunday, hoping to be able to fish off the sled. Speaking of which, how was the going on sleds on the lake?

These next 2 days are going to take forever.....and the work production meter is going to suffer a bit grin.gif

Nice job, hope we get a few close to those!

CNG..can you shoot me an email, i gotta few questions for you, if you wouldn't mind. We are headed up there this weekend.

[email protected]

thanks.

nate

explorer, we will be there also this weekend...Friday-Monday. We will be in a cabin just before the stretch opens up into the main lake. Probably about 6-8 miles from camp manitou...Stop and say hi if you see us out there..

I know what you guys mean by counting the days.....Now I'll start counting the days for the next trip. So far, it looks like we'll have ice up to the walleye opener, but who knows about the weather. I brought an extension with but didn't need it. It was getting pretty close in a few spots though. Snow conditions on the lake were excellent for snow machines. You could even use a wheeler if that's all a guy had. The trails in the bush could use more snow, kinda rough in some spots. The cedar narrows road has very little snow to run a snow machine on the shoulder if you need to travel on it. Most of the parking areas I saw Thursday night and Monday on the way home were empty.

Musky,

I'll be on a green polaris trail with a green Otter house and we will definitly be heading up past where you are staying, will look for ya and stop if I see you guys out. We'll be there from early friday AM til sunday noonish.

I was wondering about needing an extension, I have mine packed and ready. Should be a good weekend to be out on the 'tou, temps look good and hopefuly the fish cooperate also smile.gif

What bait have you guys had the best luck with up there?

I have always used salted shinners, but am taking a few cisco's this time to try either as cutbait on tubes/bucktails or as a deadbait on the bottom.

Only 48 hours til we hit the border.....tictock, tictock, tictock grin.gif

Xplorer...THis is our first winter trip to the Manitou...Usually it is summer time and musky fishing with a little trout mixed in.

We have done ok on a few other lakes using tubes and bait. We will probably be bringing similar stuff.

We will have two in our group. Not even sure what our sleds will be, they are my buddies. He has the big purple Otter.

We are hitting the border early also and stopping at Rainy Lake Sports just after they open and then on our way.

See ya up there and good luck!

Nate

MuskyFT,

We'll probably beat you up there by a bit, I think we are staying the night just outside of the falls, and already have our licenses etc. from a previous trip to Clearwater/White Otter in January.

Not sure if we'll be fishing the stretch or not on friday, but I'll keep an eye out for the purple otter. I'm sure that we'll run into one another somewhere. If not I'll have to take a quick run up and say Hi and maybe relieve you guys of a cold one grin.gif

I'd be interested in hearing about your soft water experiences on the Tou, I have thought of bringing my 4 year old up with me next summer for a long father/son weekend. My biggest worry is navigating around the lake to tell you the truth, as i have not heard of any depth maps made for the lake.

By the way, which side of the stretch is the cabin on as you go up it?

You guys have a safe trip up, roads right now up here are perfect and should stay that way, no real snow predicted.

Xplorer,

The cabin will be on your right when heading towards the main lake. It is under a 1/2 mile from the opening. AJ's Hideaway is the name of it and I believe there is a sign out front.

If you stop down we will definately talk about the summer fishing there...after all ice fishing is just biding us time until we can get the boats out there again!

Do you know what time Rainy Lake Sports opens? Their HSOforum says 6am in the summer, just wondering if their winter hours are the same.

Have a good one...

Superbee,

You have mail! I'm sorry to say that I dont know what time RLS opens this time of year. It might pay to give them a call because we went past there on the last trip and it was after 6am and I dont think it was open (not sure tho).

See ya up there!

superbee, thanks for all the info, I am sure that I'll be heading up your way next winter at least a couple times!

Our weekend up on Manitou was decent overall, 5 guys fishing 2 full days and we got around 30 trout and a couple lawyer. The biggest was @16#, and had a 13" burbot half digested in its throat, strangest thing I've seen in awhile. The tail was still in its mouth, and the front half was in its stomach and digested, only bones left.

Our best depths were 60-80', with the big one coming in 82.

Perfect ice and sledding conditions.

One word of caution for anyone heading off of Dogfly, take the trail that is about 40' to the west of the regular one going off the lake. The regular one has 2 exposed rocks and is pure ice...which i didnt find out until my sled was up against the red pines on the other side of the trail. A bent up ski, bumper and a cracked windshield later I was up to the truck on the other side. The trail is getting pretty tough without studs, and one of the guys with a longtrack and studs even tipped his sled over on one of the hard rights going out. I would most likely run the extra length and come in at 24 if I was going in this weekend.

Musky man it was nice meeting you guys up there, hopefuly you were able to fill out that meal!!

And Matt, thanks for a great weekend at Camp Manitou, all was good and it sounds like I may be back up with the group for Memorial weekend!

Xplorer, good to meet you up there....

We did ok fishing wise...Ate fish up there for supper each nite and was able to bring a few back. We didn't do as well as your group, but it was our first time. Very fun though...

I fished for pike some and got a 31" and 28". The 28" i got jig fishing in shallow water, so I was sight fishing...Got to watch it smoke my jig! Very fun!

We came in on 24 and it was decent. There is a beaver dam in the middle of the woods, but it wasn't bad....Otherwise, good sledding through it all and plenty of snow.

Hey Xplorer,

Glad to hear everything worked out for you guys. Are you still planning on a possible trip on one of the first two weekends in March?

I am heading up there tomorrow for a little work (fishing) should be fun, looks like the weather is going to be decent for us.