• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about rule bending

JohnMickish

Do you guys think that the teams that are competitive every week(Roush, DEI, JGR, RCR, EMS.) cheat every week, every now and then or not that often.

I don't know what I think on this. I think that there is probably more rule bending at the plate tracks than at say, Bristol.

Whats the general concensus on this?

I think that it probably happens more than we hear about but in the last couple of years you are hearing more and more about it. I guess everyone is trying to get that one little advantage over everyone else. If I remember right last year when harvick got caught they had been doing it for quite awhile and finally got caught.

I would think that the plate tracks and short tracks would have less cheating due to the cars being "equal" at plate tracks and irrelevant at the short tracks. Wouldn't one think that the cookie cutter mile and half tracks where the majority of the races being run would have more of an upperhand using special techniques?

I believe that every top team has a place on the car or motor where they push thier luck. I would agree that it would happen more at the plate tracks also as the cars are all so even. I also think you have to push the rules to the limit or you will be behind the eight ball.

There is an old old saying that I'm sure Harvey has heard in the years in the pits just like all of us who have ever raced anything have..."there are only two kinds of racers, cheaters and losers". Some will say that's not true, but really it isn't so much about cheating as it is pushing the grey areas to the limit. Sometimes tech will put a stop to something that really isn't illegal by the black letter of the rule but is probably pushing the envelope. ALL the winning teams are doing this. Out and out cheating though, that's a little different. You've got to push the envelope but you can't do what plainly isn't allowed.

Since I'm not racing anymore, I will readily admit I pushed the envelope pretty hard in a few areas at times after the first year when I ran strictly legal and got killed. I was bringing a knife to a gun fight every week and it showed... I still know there were guys out there doing things way worse than I was too, lots of them actually. I got teched enough that I had to keep it within reason and I was not interested in the embarassment of the DQ.

Quote:

Nice Avatar buddy.
smile.gif

Thanks Harv, glad you like it! Figured he's earned tribute or two! Too bad we couldn't have worked it out to hunt birds this year. You would have liked meeting my old pal!!!

Lets face it, whether you like it or not your favorite team is probably pushing it to the limit in all of the grey areas. Growing up in a racing family I know that every inventive way to get an edge and stay within the existing rules was explored. Sometimes you were called on it and other times the rules were made the next time around to prevent a clear advantage from taking place. These guys do what they do and do it well. Fines and suspensions happen for those that are running afoul in a flagrant manner. Chad Knaus has been slapped what 4 times now? Guess whose team has been running mighty high in the standings for the past few years? They all do it. That is where the rules come from right? So to say one team cheats more then another, I don't believe it. What gets caught and who, well, that might have some politics involved. I am looking foreward to the 500 and hopefully the guy that wins passes his post race inspection and the win won't be tainted by cheater chatter. BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY, LET'S GET IT ON! My 2 cents or nonsense whichever you choose to make it!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif