• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4wd in Reverse?

Reynolds

Okay, I'll try. Here's the scenario.

You're out alone with your ATV on a trail that doesn't get used very much and find yourself hung up on a mound of soil or rocks. Try as you might, you just can't seem to rock it enough to get off but it's oh so close. If only you could get a little nudge or somehow shift the weight to the front tires a bit more. You don't have a winch but at any rate If you had a winch, there is nothing within reach to hook on to anyway.

What do you do? Leave the wheeler there and start walking for help or try to push it out using the power train to assist because you're certainly not going to push a 600-800 lb. machine off of it by yourself? I suppose you could take a hike to look for something to use as a lever but the nearest tree is a half-mile away.

Bob

Take the situation when your plowing,pushing snow into a steep ditch.You go to back out after lifting the plow, which takes alot of the weight off of the rear of the wheeler, which it will be in 2 wd 'till you push in that annoying button.You find out your hung up on the incline, and you need to get off of the wheeler to assist it in a push to get out backwards.Now try to push the wheeler backwards while holding the throttle in one hand, and that da^% button in the other! Good Luck! Now remember, in this situation you cannot go forward because of the mound of snow in front of you, and also the drop off of the ditch.Last thing, if you want to save yourself from getting hit with a broken cable, and bleeding from handling the cable, get yourself some synthetic winch rope and replace that crappy cable!Synthetic winch rope does not stretch, and will not fling if you manage to break it.

I thought I was the only stupid one, glad to know that others didn't realize that U had to hold the yellow button in. I had my 600 sportsman and winched it through some mud because it had NO power to back up, DA, push the yellow button. Once I found out about this yellow thing, NO PROBLEM. I just wish I had know before I almost killed myself.

Quote:

Last thing, if you want to save yourself from getting hit with a broken cable, and bleeding from handling the cable, get yourself some synthetic winch rope and replace that crappy cable!Synthetic winch rope does not stretch, and will not fling if you manage to break it.

I believe winch manufacturers do not recommend synthetic winch rope for plows but, it is nicer for winching. And, jltimm, get some good rubber and you can back up ditches quite wellsmirk.gif

Dave, I don't have the getting stuck features anymore. I haven't since I got rid of the popo! I've got some good rubber, 27" GBC Mudhogs, and I have 4WD in reverse all the time. I have been using the synthetic winch rope for 2 yrs, and if you haven't got it, do yourself a favor and get it.I plow with my wheeler alot (not this year) and the winch rope is lasting longer than the cable!

You can get 1/4" or 3/16". Comparing 1/4" cable to 1/4" synthetic the synthetic is actually alot stronger.I went with 3/16" as with 50' of it you can get it all on the spool.I have used it for 2 yrs. now, and have yet to break it doing everything with it.It is recommended to get a hawse fairlead with it though, which is a smoothed aluminum fairlead to guide the rope and prevent pinching or fraying.