• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4wd in Reverse?

Reynolds

I was riding the other day on my 2006 Sportsman on a very narrow trail along the river when I went to down a slope only to have a tree blocking the trail. I had the four wheeler in four wheel drive, but when I put it in reverse I no longer had 4x4, so I couldn't back up the slope in two wheel drive. So I proceeded to do a 100 point turn (very narrow trail) to get turned around so I could make it out of there in four wheel drive. Is there something wrong with my machine that I don't have four wheel drive in reverse? confused.gif

I am curious if anyone has done the bypass on a newer machine. One thing I am concerned about is the ability to change screens on the cluster, or enter diagnostics. I just put the glacier plow on my 07, and will find out what a pain in the butt that switch will be if it ever snows. The bypass could be my summer project, cause warranty issues will be over.

Stradic, I don't think it is that people are so lazy that they can't push a "the little yellow button", it is just a poor system in my opinion. Like someone previously mentioned it is a real pain when you get stuck and need to give a little push to get out in reverse. I found out yesterday that is pretty much impossible because you have to be holding in the yellow button on the left side of the handlebar and pushing in the throttle on the right side which doesn't leave you any arms to push with.

Try pushing the button, start going in reverse and then letting go of the button. And, although the system is incovenient, it was basically forced to happen with all the sue happy mentaility we have in today's society.

Try being off the wheeler trying to push and press the button, good luck. The next best is trying to winch someone out while trying to reverse, there's just not enough fingers. Stupid people are the reason for these interlocks.

If you think about the physics of it all consider how easily an ATV could flip over forward on top of a rider while using a winch and reverse gear with the front axle engaged. The winch cable is pulling the front-end downward and adding weight to the front wheels while preventing the top of the unit from moving in reverse. If the front wheels grab ground, the ATV will be on top of the driver so fast he won’t have time to react.

Also, safety says you use the winch with the vehicle parked, not while throttling in reverse. A winch is designed so that the cable has sufficient tensile strength for the winch but when you start pulling with the ATV at the same time, you could be subjecting the winch to excessive load. Breaking a winch cable can be deadly. My neighbor was using a tractor to pull on another one that was stuck in mud. The cable broke and went through both the rear and front windows on his tractor cab, narrowly missing his head. If it would have hit him, it would have gone right through him. It happened so fast, it was over before he realized it occurred.

There are many things we end-users do that are not in compliance with safe operation of the equipment. Consider some of the comments made in this thread like, “You have to be holding in the yellow button on the left side of the handlebar and pushing in the throttle on the right side which doesn't leave you any arms to push with.” I’m sure this is considered normal, safe, and standard operating procedure. I’m also sure we have all probably done similar things at least once or if not yet we will.

Equipment manufacturers have been forced by us end-users to protect themselves and us as much as possible from us. We rarely read the safety warnings in the operator’s manual and even if we do read them, we don’t heed them anyway. We instinctively push the limits of safety. We can handle it, in our opinion, but when we can’t we are unwilling to accept the responsibility for our decision. It’s not my fault that I lacked common sense or was so stupid and careless. It’s the manufacturer’s fault because they didn’t design the machine to protect me from me. And because the judges and juries have sided with that argument over the years, manufacturers are forced to take that responsibility or quit the business.

Society wants the products but not the responsibility that goes with using them and so we’ve got those little yellow buttons that disengage the front axle or limit engine performance while in reverse. Of course it’s inconvenient to use the ATV in reverse under full power, it’s supposed to be.

Bob

I was not suggesting that I actually have done or condone doing such a thing as holding down the throttle and pushing the yellow button. I was merely stating that I was stuck with the machine thinking how ridiculous it would be that I would have to hold that yellow button and the throttle leaving me no arms to push with. That's is not to mention the fact that you would be putting yourself right in the path of the front wheels. As I have now learned, you do not have to continue to hold the yellow button for the four wheel drive to be engaged.

Can someone explain to me why you would would be off the fourwheeler, trying to push, while holding in the over-ride button in reverse? I understand getting stuck, but personal safety comes into play there....Just doesn't make sense to me at all. Stay on the wheeler, and let the engine and fourwheel drive work for you.

Also another safety thing while winching....Try tossing a jacket or some article of clothing you may have with over the winch cable, if the cable should break, it will slow the cable down, and also want to puch it down instead of becoming a rocket that would be coming back at you.

I wasn't trying to single you out. Just happened to use your scenario as one of many examples. I have done precisely what you describe at least once myself, okay probably more than once.

I would be willing to bet that just about any of us would or have already stood on the ground, operated the throttle in gear, and pushed on a stuck ATV. This can be dangerous even in forward gear as you can run over your own feet and get seriously hurt. As you have already stated, from the front you are putting yourself at risk of contact with the front tires, which are turning under power.

Bob