• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster LazerMag Xpress Broken Recoil

Unclefluffy

So I took out my power auger for the second time yesterday, and first, the handle broke. It split in two right on one of the 4 legs right where it meets the transmission. Whatever, I can replace the handle. Then, I'm drilling holes and nearing the end of the day, and I go to start the auger again to punch just a few more, and the recoil won't budge. The handle is all the way in, but it won't pull out at all. I'm down in Illinois, and I don't use the power auger much as we don't get a lot of ice. I bought it last year (new) and used it for one outing with about 15-20 holes drilled. This was my second outing with about 35-40 holes drilled and that's the end of the starter. Really nice. By the way, I follow the advice and rules of others and use the compression release, and let the rope recoil slowly. I'm starting to regret not buying a Nils with the Tanaka powerhead. Any suggestions guys? I don't live within driving distance of any service centers that I know of, and I'd like to have this thing running again by this weekend, as the lake I'm going to will probably have at least 18" of ice by then. Thanks!

I think I remember reading about someone with the same issue. If I remember right there was a broken plastic tab inside the recoil that was stopping it from turning.

I hope it's something as simple as that and not a fried motor. I'm sure strikemaster will help you out.

Well, I've called Strikemaster, and they are sending me a new handle after some sweet talking. As for the recoil, they told me to either ship it to them, or call Tecumseh and find a local repair center. I'm hoping the repair center can fix it quickly, but ordering parts may hold things up as most places down here just don't service ice augers. I still can't believe how quickly this broke after only a handful of starts and only 2 trips on the ice. Thanks for the advice and support.

i have a strikemaster laser mag ultra probrobly have the same engine and the 2nd time i had it out the recoil assembly broke.i brought it back to gander mt. cause i had just bought it 3 weeks before and they exchanged it.2nd one has had problems every year whether the recoil rope breaks or some other little problem,seems to me ive heard alot more gripes about strikemaster than any other auger.so my advice is go for nilsmaster all 3/4 guys i know that have one would sooner give up an organ than there nils.i know when i go to buy a new one it will be a nils.fdr

That's some good info on your other thread. It sounds like I have one of those transitional engines. I purchased mine in very late '05 and only got to use it the one time last season. So far this year, I've only needed my hand auger. My real concern is that all the service centers around here look at my power auger and think it's a post hole digger. I'll be lucky if I can get it back from the local service center before this weekend. They'll probably have to order parts, find out they ordered the wrong parts, order new parts... frown.gif

At least I took it to the best small engine repair shop around that I know. I'm sure not looking forward to drilling through 18" with my Mora this weekend. Thanks for all the advice.