• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Had a good time with with Tim, Frank and Johnny at Silver. Sorry I didn't fish with you guys more but was focusing on trying to learn the lake a little.

Ok, here is my question. Why does the DEC put a bunch of Contour maps of lakes that aren't accessible by the public? It just doesn't make any sense to me and was wondering if anyone had an answer to it?

LOL @ liberals, I see a lot of republican types surrounding local lakes too that want to block access and the views to their private lakes. Don't just blame us long hairs . :-)

A good example is the salmon run in Pulaski. If you own the property on both sides of a stream or river, it is illegal to put an anchor on "your" property if you properly post your land. This is a new law passed by the NY state assembly in the last 2 years or so. I remember as a kid here in Constantia there was a 20 foot access on both sides of Scriba creek for trout fisherman. These areas were posted as such, for public access so people didn't catch hell from property owners on the creek. Now that the state allows the beavers to build dams from the source to the mouth of Scriba, they don't stock it anymore. Apparently the beaver dams raise the water temps so the creek is not habitable for the trout anymore. Blame that on the gadam Liberals you can for their anti-fur protests if you must, which I personally think is garbage. But as far as access to private lakes, you don't have to belong to any party to be an anti-fisherman or sportsman. Especially when you get $20 dollars a head to let some1 put an anchor on your property.

I also talked to the guys at Marion Manor about the access for shore fall fishing walleyes. Apparently people were dumping carcasses and leaving behind propane bottles and garbage. I think this is the main problem for property owners and neighbors of fishing areas, if you leave your garbage or see others doing it and do nothing. No-fishing signs are the result. Another good example of this is the access by Schneibles Inn, where I posted before that the owner posted it due to garbage.

My personal policy is something I learned from the brothers and sisters at "gatherings", their motto is "only leave your footprints".

To Tim

Let me go into a little more detail.

DEC Web site has contour maps of lakes that show some kind of launch on it but when you go there to fish you find out it's a private launch (home owner's only) and no public access (summer or winter). One lake that come into my mind is Crooked Lake in Tully.

I look at it as it being a lot like hunting posted land . . . go in the Summer and ask permission and volunteer to help police the area. Let them know that your presence will also act as a deterrant to anyone thinking of trashing their property. Get a permission note and let them know that you are available to help with Spring cleanup. It is a shame that it has come down to that but if we don't take things in our hands and show the positive image of a fisherman, we are doomed to be represented by those that don't give a hoot about anything but their own interests. I do agree that if DEC lists a contuour map on a State HSOforum that they should only list those that are publicly accessable. Why should "our" taxes go to assist private only interests. I think Timmie's liberal comment was directed at a former DNC chairman who lives on Cazenovia, a lake that is well known for its residence not wanting public access to the resource.