• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodbye to Buster

lawdog

A day I've been dreading for nearly thirteen years came this weekend. Friday night when I went out to the kennel to get my pal Buster and bring him into the garage for the night he was unresponsive and laying on the ground. He was still breathing and I carried him into the garage to see if there was anything we could do. He would try to wag his tail and move his legs when we petted him and talked to him, but he seemed to be in a coma, or pehaps he had had a stroke I don't know. The vet was called and was not around but it didn't matter, after about 45 minutes my best friend was gone. I don't have many pictures of him on the computer, but I do have a couple from last year when on a warm winter day we'd gone for a walk to the WMA across the road from our house.

Here he is sitting like the well behaved boy he was:

190Buster-med.JPG

And here is a nice moment that my best gal captured while we were walking ahead of her:

190Buster_and_me-med.JPG

Buster would have been 13 March 24th and I'm sure I'll be crying that day like I've been crying most of the weekend. For most of his life he and I were the whole family and you can imagine how close we were. I loved this dog immeasurably and I miss him dearly. I just wanted to make a little tribute post for him here. Next spring when the ground thaws, his ashes along with many many rooster tail feathers will be buried at our farm where we spent so many hours together. I'm sure I'll be crying again then, but for now, I just wanted to share these pictures with you guys I wish I had better pictures of him on the computer so I could show him off some more to you guys. I wish more that he was still here...

Take care and thanks for looking guys. I can't type anymore, I'm crying again.

REST IN PEACE OLD FRIEND.

Found another picture, back from his healthier younger days. He was an absolute joy to hunt behind!! Gosh I miss him.

190buster2-med.jpg

Lawdog,

I feel for you man...I've been going through the same thing for the last three plus weeks. I had to put my best buddy, Remington, down in mid-January. He was nearly thirteen, too.

It's so incredibly hard to lose a hunting buddy and best friend that you have been through so much with, but at the same time cannot imagine going through life without these buddies, even while knowing that these days are always somewhere on the horizon.

We both just have to go on knowing that our friends led good, fun-filled, productive lives, and while they cannot be completely replaced, another new friend will come along someday and once again fill our lives with joy. While I still have not yet gotten over the passing of Remington, I am looking forward to the day I go get myself a new hunting buddy, as I am sure at some point, you will too.

Take care.

Jeff, I am really sorry to hear about your dog. Three weeks ago I had to take my little cocker house dog to the vet as she could hardly walk. Thevet did alot of testing and said she may have a slipped disc. Back two more times and now on meds for a liver problem. After another week she looks to be doing better but I worry when the meds wear off.

She is going on 11 and I have a very hard time thinking of having to put her to sleep to avoid daily pain and struggles. I had to put Stormy, my English pointer to sleep 4 years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Its been a really tough weekend for me. He was a special dog and I miss him terribly. My 2 1/2 year old yellow lab sure looks lonely out in the kennel this weekend too. I think he's missing our old buddy too! I did find and add a better picture of him to the first post.

Jeff,

sorry to hear of your loss! I know it won't make Busters loss any easier, but he is in a happy place chasing unending roosters around like a young dog again. He will still be walking off to one side of you for all the untold future seasons you and your future dogs will share. Take joy in all those 13 years of memories! They'll last a lifetime!

Good Luck!

Ken

Sorry to hear about your lost. My fishing buddy, Rix, in my avatar just passed away about 3 months ago also. Now when I go ice fishing and Rix isn't there helping pull my portable across the lake, it just feels different. But don't worry Buster, Rix and all the other dogs are having a ball in heaven and he'll be waiting for you.

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about Buster. The loss of a pet/family member is one of the hardest things in the world to deal with. I have lost three of my best friends in the past two years. One to old age, one to a tumor, and my hunting partner Chloe to a car hitting her last July. It makes your heart feel pretty empty. I firmly believe I am a better person for knowing the dogs that I have in my life. And I have always said I learned more from my dogs than any person ever taught me. I wanted to share something with you. This was sent to my family after we lost our Welsh Terrier Molly in 2005. It's something I will never forget. I hope it can bring a smile to your face so for atleast a couple minutes you aren't crying.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.

There is always food and water, and warm Spring weather. Those old and frail animals are young again. Those who have been maimed are made whole again.

They play all day with each other. But there is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches, the ears are up, the eyes are staring, and this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

Author unknown

Take care,

fishtrapgirl

Man these are tough to deal with. I remind myself...and I know you will too about why we go through these days of pain, it really is worth the 13 great years you spent with your friend. I hope that you can move quickly past the pain and have nothing but fond memories that fill your heart with joy remembering the great days you had and those that surely will come again.

Dan

I too am sorry to hear of your loss. I just went through the same thing last spring. Our beloved Tucker had to be put down just shy of 13 too. Very, very hard. First time I've had to do that and I was very reluctant to try and get "back on the horse" with another. Finally, I made the decision to do it and we should have our new little guy in a little over a month. You can never replace a friend, you can only hope to find another.

Wow, with each new post I read my eyes tear up. I echo what others have said. I have 12 year old yellow that is slipping-hearing is going, can't get up the stairs very easy and itching, just to mention a few things. I know the time is drawing near and after reading posts from others, I know it's going to be hard. I already know that I will replace her. My son is 13 and my hunting partner. We have missed hunting behind her the last few years since she retired. I just haven't had as much desire to hunt without my own dog.

Sorry for your loss..I have a fishing rod rack in my den with some old rods hanging from it. On the ends I have collars from dogs that I have had. Reading your post made me take some time and look at the collars and remember them. Also reminds me that I need to take more pictures of my labs that I have now, Have had dogs underfoot for over 40 years and hope to continue to have my best friends around for 40 more..

My deepest sympathy for ya Lawdog. It's never easy to lose a good friend whose part of the family. Time will heal the heart and the good memories will last forever.

And for everyone reading these posts here is the Tinkhamtown story if you've never read it. It has got to be one of the most heart felt stories. Take care.

http://www.afn.co.kr/archives/readings/tinkham.htm

Bartz, Thanks for sharing that story with us! It truely was an amazing read. I have saved it and will read it often. Thanks again! Anyone with a good gun dog should read this story!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree Ken, that's a great story and I saved it to my favorites after reading it after it was mentioned here.

Really appreciate all the nice posts in this thread folks. I knew a good bunch of dog people would understand...