• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can SCSU catch the Gophers?

rocky

SCSU has slowly been creeping up in the WCHA standings to the Gophers and still control their own destiny as far as winning their first WCHA title. With the Gophers playing .500 hockey over their last 8 games, and the moster home and home series in two weeks, does the red hot SCSU huskies have a chance to catch the Gophers? While I am an avid St.Cloud fan, I realize that SCSU does not have the storied past as the Gophers. However, just once it would be fun to see SCSU win the title. If not us, I would then root for the Gophers.

Quote:

does the red hot SCSU huskies have a chance to catch the Gophers?

Getting outplayed in periods 2 and 3 vs CC may have me thinking they are not so red hot... although they did manage to hang on for the tie.

With that being said, I believe SCSU is playing well and anything can happen, especially with Minnesota's coming back down to earth spell. I don't however see Minnesota giving up the McNaughton cup.

Looking at the schedule I would say SCSU would have to get white hot, not just red hot to catch them.

SCSU goes to Wisconsin, home and home with the U, and brings in N. Dak to close things out. I would not want that schedule at any time of the year much less when you have to make up ground. I think SCSU would do very well to come away with 8 points out of that.

U of M goes to CC, SCSU series and gets Michigan Tech at home for two. If SCSU gets the 8 points I predict, the Gophs could sleepwalk to 5 points in their schedule which would do the trick.

Buzzy,

What game were you watching? I think CC needed that game more than SCSU and CC was still out-played. Sure SCSU had to weather the storm in the third period against a desperate team, but as soon as CC tied that game it was all SCSU after that. I don’t know if CC had any shots in that overtime except right at the end.

Everyone knows that I’m a Gopher fan, but I have to take my hat off to Motzko. He has a bunch of players that were overlooked by the Gophers, ND, and Wisc., and they are still a good team. I went to school at SCSU and I can tell you that Dahl wouldn’t have been able to do anything with that group of players.

I have three ex SCSU buddies that are diehard fans, we go back and forth everyweek and in our group e-mail their re-cap was that SCSU was better in the first period and CC was better in the last two periods... OT was not mentioned... it doesn't matter much anyways... SCSU won't be winning the Mcnaughton, let alone the storied DQ cup.

I realistically don't think SCSU can catch the Gophs but as a SCSU fan, it is nice to at least have a chance. I was at the Saturday night SCSU vs CC game. SCSU just couldn't get the gamewinner in but CC could have won it just as easy. I know the Gophers have gone through a little bit of a drought lately but come playoff time, they should turn it back on. I beleive the Gophers postseason futility last year won't happen again. With Motzko in, SCSU came on at the end of the year last year, almost winning the Final Five after beating CC and the Gophers. This may finally be the year SCSU gets a NCAA tourney win.

My answer after sweeping CC AT CC and seeing the Huskies only get 1 point against Wisconsin is = ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! NO!!

My answer before this weekend was = doubtful, but possible with a Gopher collapse.

Nice to sweep the season series from a tough CC team! grin.gif

I guess the chnaces of the huskies catching the gophers was only a pipe dream for us SCSU fans. However it was nice while it lasted. Still not sure how we layed an egg against wisconsin. Maybe they were looking ahead to much to the gophers this weekend.

I agree with PB... To have that kind of talent and show ABSOLUTELY NO HUSTLE, that's gotta be a coach that can't get his players to respond! Motzko had 20 guys with les talent playin their a@@'s off!!!

Say what you want about 2 championships, but with the talent they get every year you dont need a "great" coach to win it, do you? Shoot they get their pick of talent every year! Pretty sad they show NO heart!

Nice job SCSU, great to see a team of hard workers getting success!!!

Gopher nation can't have much pride right now.

Oh by the way Woogie... you are right, that was a statement game!!! looser....