• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Survival Suits

FOOTDOC

I am definitely going to get a survival suit. I would appreciate comments on Mustang or Nautilus or Arctic Armor. I was in Winnipeg last summer and saw the Nautilus at a SIR store but I think that brand is only sold in Canada. Any opinions on one piece or two piece? I am inclined to go 2 piece as I can then wear the jacket separate. Any opinions appreciated cool.gif

Footdoc,

It all depends on what you want out of the suit. I recently switched over to the Arctic Armor suit and really like it. It is much lighter than I thought it was going to be. I have had it out twice now without much on underneath it and it has proven itself to be all that it has been advertised. I will be really giving it the workout for 4 days up at Slabfest and will give a more detailed report when I get back.

I appreciate the Arctic Armor comments but I do not think it is an approved PFD as the others are. It might be nice to have both, a survival suit that is waterproof and lets you float if you fall in the water.

FootDoc- your right, its not a PFD aproved.. but it will float you. I had looked into these a while back as well.. the cost was the major factor for me not buying one. I was looking at them online one day and my wife walked by the computer. I just happened to be looking at the Arctic Armor HSOforum that Walleye Dan has. The pict with the 2 people floating.. My wife thought it was some polar bear club.. no, I said the suits float. Wife said, money was no object.. my safety was way more important than that.. I now have the Arctic Armor suit.

Paul and I will be the 2 amigos up at Slabfest!... dang will we be cute together Paulie!

DD,

Make sure you get some good photos at Slab Fest, I'm guessing you are heading to the Red Lake. I have another XL Hotspots jacket if you know of any other P.S. that would like one. I have put my Arctic Armor to the test and really think it is the "deal". We do have some suits in stock, so for all that are interested give us an email.

Warm, Dry and Alive (Arctic Armor),

Walleyedan

I thought hard about a Mustang floatation suit for duck hunting. But, the thing just seemed to bulky for me. I guess I would rather wear a PFD while the boat is in motion, than have the suit on all the time. That's just me. I've talked to other people that like them.

I bought the Artic Armor suit primarily for its warmth in a thin material. It's not bulky. In fact, it feels odd when you put it on. It's almost like wearing summer rain gear in the winter. An added bonus is the bouyancy provided by it. I hope to never test it out, but it's nice to have.

But, if you are concerned with surviving for extended periods in the water, you probably should consider products classified as Immersion or Survival suits (that might be what you are considering already). The floatation suit just keeps you floating. You're still going to get wet and lose body heat.

Dan,

Sent U an email. Friend of mine showed off the suit at our annual Fraternal Order of Police Polar Plunge in Lake Superior. I was sold. Looked at your site, showed my wife, she is on board too...I think

Erik

I had mine on yesterday, granted the temps were not to bad.. But I was sight fishing many holes without a house.. So there I was laying on the ice. I will also say this. I had far less long underear than I normally do. Warm doesnt even come close to describing it. Awesome suit, hope to have it for many years to come.

And yes, paul knows.. I'm his daddy!

I gave my Arctic Armor a good test yesterday too. Plowing a friends ice rink..then cruising with the fourwheeler back to the access. Driving 35 mph into the wind with no windshield...and I didn't even feel a breeze! Very comfortable, lightweight, keeps you warm, and wind out. I also cut a few holes yesterday, and the padded knees are perfect for sight fishing, or kneeling at the aquaview. Granted it was a nicer day yesterday...but I was so comfy on the ice, I was beginning to wonder if I'd need a shelter tag for the Arctic Armor suit...it's that good.