• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rigging SP/Kastmasters/Jigs for Ice

Fishook

First, I have searched the site and found some great info. but I still have some questions related to how rig up for pimples, jigs, kastmasters, etc. when fishing walleye through the ice. Here goes: a) is it a good idea to use a steel/fluro any kind of leader? How long? With a snap? or Do you tie direct to the circle ring? B) I need to change a treble on a pimple, how do I get the circle rings on/off? c) If using a plain hook/minnow, should I use split shot or some type of slip sinker? If anyone can fill in the blanks for me or add any other helpful hints, I would be appreciative.

Quote:

a) is it a good idea to use a steel/fluro any kind of leader? How long? With a snap? or Do you tie direct to the circle ring?

Walleye are not going to cut your line with their teeth, so just tieing direct is fine. I do not use a snap, I tie direct to the o ring. If fishing deep water I will tie a swivel up the line about 18" to keep the line from twisting too bad.

Quote:

B)
I need to change a treble on a pimple, how do I get the circle rings on/off?

There are a special pliers that you can buy at most tackle stores that will help in this. Othewise, I normally just use my thumb nail to get the hook started and go from there. Its really not that hard once you have done it a few times. If you need to change out quite a few, the pliers will be a very good investment as they do make it quite a bit easier.

Quote:

c) If using a plain hook/minnow, should I use split shot or some type of slip sinker?

Your going to probably have to use some sort of sinker to keep the bait where you want it. A few smaller split shot about 12' up from your hook will probably be the best.