• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold weather starting

hawkeye43

My artic cat started last monday morning after sitting on the trailer all night in 25 below. It started in Ely 2 weeks ago for the bash NO probelm in 15 below. My dad's Polaris however wasn't quite as co-operative.

I was told by two diff dealers (one sold Cat/Polaris, the other Cat/Honda/CanAm) that the cats were the best cold starters. I am beggining to believe him.

I talked to a polaris owner that didnt take his 700 up north last weekend because he knew it wouldn't start. They also had a brand new honda that didn't start. Do artic cat have a recoil to hand start them???

Well them Arctic Cats should start, they have Suzuki engines in them! I've had two Yamaha's that started great in the cold.They were a 1998 grizzly 600, which I only needed to use full choke on twice in it's 4 years with me, and a 2003 Yamaha grizzly 660, which also fired right up in the cold.I have a 2005 Suzuki Kingquad right now and it starts pretty good, but needs a few extra cranks being it is fuel injected.

Can not tell you which is better but I have owned nothing but polais since 94 and none of them failed as long as the battery was good. When batteries were bad I can not remember pulling over four times to have one running in any weather.

I own a 98 Cat 300 and I can say that the darn thing never starts in the cold! It dont matter if it is 20 degrees or below it will not start with choke full blast and recoil start or else a jump. The battery has been replaced more times than I care to count and it still dont make a difference. I've been stranded on the lake more times after a nite of fishing than I have been able to get off! Kinda sickening if you ask me. I've asked a few different ppl if there is maybe a problem with the jetting but no one has been able to give me an honest answer. Any ideas for me?