• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you could help design new ladder stands?

jkjkoda

I'm trying to gather some info. on what most people would whant in there own ladder stand. if they had a say in how it was design. I work in a fabricating shop and think there has to be something better. Even if they cost a little more. So any ideals please respond.

I have hunted out of a few ladder stands and we actually own two. I guess I am a big guy and the weight restriction "legally" I have to use a 2 man stand but it's kinda over kill. I love my shooting rail in the front. My floor does not go under the seat. would be nice ot have it go back to put a bag or something there to free up the seat and your footing area. Actually enjoyed the side rails on my stand nice to put an elbow on. One thing to consider that I didn't think of when I put a seat cushion on mine is not to get it too high up and cut off circulation or make you feel like the 3 yr old sitting in grandpa's chair where the feet don't touch the ground. My legs feel asleep and i actually took the padding out and could stay in the stand longer. But the most important thing is to make it secure to the tree and make it as light as possible if it is a TRUE portable stand. We got lucky and was able to drive the truck up to my spot but in some situations hiking it in is the only way and with 110 pounds it gets heavy. But if I could design mine would be a 1 1/2 man stand with a floor that goes back to the tree.

I found my love in ladder stands. grin.gif

The Loggy Bayou Bowhunter. Picked up 4 of them for $80 each on clearance over the past couple years. Regular $140 each.

I have Rivers Edge Action ladders, a Big Game something or other, and a new Ameristep that is still in the box. Couldn't pass up the Ameristep Bowhunter at $50 on clearance.

The Loggy Bayou is outstanding. At regular price, its too much for me, but wait for the year end clearances, and I dont think you can beat it.

Its a 15 ft stand. Ladder sections are 3 ft each, so it breaks down very nice and small. Seat folds up. Standing platform is as big as they get on ladder stands, and with the fold up seat its awesome. The seat is wider than most, if not all one man ladder stands. Comes with cushion(not a huge deal, but nice). Its comfy and I feel very safe using it.

So many other stands just don't fit well with me with the small standing platforms. With big boots on, I feel like I am teetering on the edge all the time.

I do not honestly know what I would want any different than what the Loggy Bayou Bowhunter ladder offers.

JK,

I only use ladderstands anymore cuz i don't like to use the tree screws, and they are much easier to get in and out of. So here are my opinions,

#1- Make the platform go under the seat as stated before. All the way to the tree would be a good idea, and use that for the bottom support.

#2-Figure out some way to hook it all together, while in pieces, for carrying into the woods.

#3-Keep it light.

#4-Adjustable seat height. As stated before wa are all different and one height for all don't work.

#5-Soft seat.

My $.02

Kenny

JK, my dad made a very nice ladder stand years ago out of aluminum electrical conduit. We're both over 290# and 6'1" and 6'3" so my brother at 5'10" and 180# thinks its like the other guy said a swings his feet like a little kid. I do like when the seat is the right height too. The foot platform needs to extend towards the tree like they said, maybe not quite to the trunk though, because that would limit you to a pretty straight tree. I do think some ladders are too narrow too. If your going to have a broad shouldered guy climb a narrow ladder, its easy to loose your balance.

One other tip is my dad welded a plate underneath the seat platform that looks like a open book facing the tree (welded at the top perimeter to the bar at the rear of the seat). This plate has two holes big enough to screw a treestep into. When you are first putting the stand up, you climb up the ladder enough to reach through and screw the steps in to secure the platform so it doesn't settle when you climb on and tighten the rachet strap.

Code-man,

Yup, The Big Town of Wolf Lake! Moved here 10 years ago from the cities. Found an old farm with some acres. Wife raises goats and I raise whitetails and grouse wink.gif

Can't imagine leaving right now!

Later,

Kenny

First i would build one that would hang itself in the correct tree for the wind that usually occurs in the area taking into effect wind drifts and pockets, and where the deer usually are. I would then make it super quiet and not visible to the human eye. It would stay perfectly still no matter the amount of moving i did in it. It would also have a security lock on it that would shock any person other than me that touched it, of course it would use finger prints too tell. It would also have a computerized range finder built in to tell me distances to an object.

Ok now for my real answer, since the one above takes all the fun out of deer hunting, I like nice large platforms on my tree stands, currenlty i use ones i build myself and a river edge, also a wide seat with a pad. I also like light tree stands with a good strap for the tree. And it has to be QUIET in the cold temperatures of late November. I would also like a built in bow holder on the side of the stand.

A. Shae

Hello jkjkoda,

Hi from one Crystal resident to another. Grew up just north of Bass Lk rd. Anyways I purchased my first two ladder stands this late fall/early winter for archery season and one thing for sure is that I would include detachable wheels on the base of or some where on the ladder. I found that I would be more likely to move it if it had wheels on it and not have to take it apart and still be some what mobile. I moved both stands a total of 8 times in about a month, yes I was not patient enough but it was a new area that I aquired late in the season and need to "fine tune" my stand locations.

I might purchase myself a couple old ten speed tires and mount something to them so all I have to do is tip the lander stand and go to next spot. Also if there is another way of safely putting them up with out a second person while you put the strap around the tree would be beneficial. Sorry I just added more complications to your initial question.

1. wheels for ladder stand to move.

2. an easier way to initially and safely strap the stand to the tree without tipping over and falling to my death.

MR grin.gifgrin.gif

I'd put some platforms on the bottom of the stand so that it doesn't protrude in to the ground, If the were independantly adjustable to uneven terrain that would be great. Have them hinged so they are not hitting every thing while walking in the woods. Big thing is stability, and big enough platform to move around on. Side rails that extend to the front of the platfor for you to lean agains would also be nice. Right now, I have the shooting rails up, without the cross bar, if its windy and I'm standing, I can lean up against these and stabilize myself, but they are kind of high and can get in the way of my bow when I'm swinging it.

I know I currently use a two man ladder stand...I am 6'5" and 340#...with me in my hunting gear, gun, and pack with, I would like to have a shelf, welded or snap on to the side rails for more storage...I feel the seat is okay in height and okay in width, but I would like to deeper if that makes sense....also I like the idea that someone else mentioned about the platform below and also an easier way to get them set up so a single guy could do it more easily...

on another note...where can I get a hot tub stand like the one above?

If your hunting on private land, and still have somewhat mobility, I've made my stands from 1" water pipe. For the rungs, I used re-rod.

I've taken these stands to Canada for bear hunting. To get them in my trailer without hanging to far out, I cut the legs and install pipe unions.

2 sections of pipe (21 footers) can make one stand. The final height to the platform comes to 15ft.

I stated making these because my dad was getting older, so the more stable platform(3ftx3ft), gave him a more secured feeling.