• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

frozen bobber

dashhound

Can anyone tell me why my line freezes (sp) with my bobber.

I keep the portable pretty worm. The hole is not freezing over.

I thought it was my line so I put new 6# fireline micro on and it is still happening. confused.gif

P.s. fairly new to fishing in general

the ice busters are a great product! something you want to be certain is ; are you banking all the way around your hut? any drafts coming in from the floor/bottom will let cold air in and freeze it too.

Dash, another vote from me on the Ice Buster . The reason you won't have so much problem with freezing is the stop (or knot) stays below the water surface. Not like the way it is now freezing to the top of your bobber.

Another great thing about these is that you can trim them to just the right boyancy. Almost get them so if a minnow really struggles it can pull it under a bit. That way a fish can't feel so much resistance on the line like it would from a larger bobber. Some guys will actually trim them so that it can s-l-o-w-l-y sink. Sometimes triggering finiky fish to bite.

And finally one more thing, if ya take a toothpick an poke a hole in the top of one, then push a mini snap and glow stick in the top it will work as a lighted bobber too! grin.gif

Another option is Thill Supreme Mini Stealths. I use the #2. The stop (and bead if you use one) are under water so no freeze up. I also use Ice Busters especially at night as I cut he foam so it sticks up above the hole and I can see it. The #2 Minis barely ride above the surface on a 1/16 jig and crappie minnow.

Man!, You guys have the Ice Buster Bobbers all figured out! That is good. The Thill and a couple other bobbers that connect to the line at the bottom might work but Nothing works like an Ice Buster Bobber. It has more features than you can shake a stick at. I just read an article last month in In-Fisherman and they talked about two other Bobbers for Ice Fishing that you run your line thru the top and out the bottom. Then they stated that you put all this split shot just above the hook to weight it down to make it neutrally bouyant crazy.gif They didn't mention how they will freeze to your line. If you use the Ice Busters you can trim it down (after you have your bait on and see how far down your bait pulls the bobber) to make it as sensitive as need for neutral bouyancy. You also don't need the plastic bead that has such a small hole for your line to try to zip thru. Beads slow up your drop time getting back down to the fish strike zone.

Thanks for the Great comments guys! I appreciate it.

Good luck fishing!

Bruce Mosher

Quote:

Man!, You guys have the Ice Buster Bobbers all figured out! That is good. The Thill and a couple other bobbers that connect to the line at the bottom might work but Nothing works like an Ice Buster Bobber. It has more features than you can shake a stick at. I just read an article last month in In-Fisherman and they talked about two other Bobbers for Ice Fishing that you run your line thru the top and out the bottom. Then they stated that you put all this split shot just above the hook to weight it down to make it neutrally bouyant
crazy.gif
They didn't mention how they will freeze to your line. If you use the Ice Busters you can trim it down (after you have your bait on and see how far down your bait pulls the bobber) to make it as sensitive as need for neutral bouyancy. You also don't need the plastic bead that has such a small hole for your line to try to zip thru. Beads slow up your drop time getting back down to the fish strike zone.

Thanks for the Great comments guys! I appreciate it.

Good luck fishing!

Bruce Mosher

Thanks for the Great Product, I just need to find somewhere that sells these in bulk.

Something fishy- Click on his link.. you can buy them by the 10 pack.. thats pretty bulk to me.

I didn't read all the threads.. but the sinking bobber is killer at times.. Trim your ice buster so that it sinks ever so slowly till your lure hits the bottom.. then jig the bobber back up and repeat... walleyes and crappie love this when conditions are tough.

Just one more tip with using the Ice Buster. They clip on and off so easy that when you are getting your bait down I remove the bobber untill I get to the stop and then snap it back on the line. That way the line sinks faster without having to slide through the boober.

You couldn't pay me to use a different bobber while ice fishing. Ice Buster all they way!

Another great feature of the Ice Buster is if you do get ice buildup on the bobber itself, which happens quite frequently in cold, cold weather, you can just squish it and break the ice off without having to worry about damaging the bobber.

Quote:

Just one more tip with using the Ice Buster. They clip on and off so easy that when you are getting your bait down I remove the bobber untill I get to the stop and then snap it back on the line. That way the line sinks faster without having to slide through the boober.

At grave risk of stealing a line from another on this site...

heheheh he said boober...

Once in a while a bobber will come off. I always check to see the gap - where the bobber clips on the line. If it is a little to big of a gap it will pop off your line to easy. What I then do is twist the bottom of the red clip 1/8th turn to the right, then push it upward towards the top of the bobber. Basically you are bending it past center. Then put it back in place where it originally was and it should stay tight. Check and see if that helps you out.

Have fun!

Bruce Mosher