• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tica Cetus

Bjjams

I'm in the market for a new Tica. I have an SB500 and I love it but I'm wondering what is the difference between the SB500 and the SS500? I see they are both 6+1 BB and I wondering if the extra 15 bucks is worth it.

Quote:

I'm in the market for a new Tica... ... wondering if the extra 15 bucks is worth it.

IMO, unless you get the SS500 for less than $40, it isn't the best deal around. You can get Pflueger President Micros for $50 - they come with an aluminum spare spool and what appears to be a sturdier handle. When I first saw the SS500's spare spool I had to laugh, it looks like something you might get out of a bubble gum machine. They are both relatively smooth and made in China.

lb

One retreives slightly faster than the other. Other than that they are essentially the same reel. Both are great in my opinion.

The LF500 is an excellent reel and priced right too. At $30 its tough to beat.

I'm also a fan of the Shimano AX-ULS for my finesse pannie rods. A little lighter than other reels yet still performs very well.

Don't get a tica! I got three cetus all at one time, and I now regret it. If you leave them in the cold (which you should be able to, it's ice fishing!) The get stiff and you can't reel them until they get warm. The drag isn't very smooth either. They are too over-priced! I have had two shimano sedona's for two years now and they are great! They are only $30 and well worth every penny!

I have 3 tica and have fished in temps well below 0 with them and not had a problem.. my guess is yours need to be cleaned.. I will however say.. as a shimano prostaff memeber, there is nothing wrong with the sedona either.. i have 5 of th 750 for perch and walleye fishing.

often times when in packing, they use a thicker greese in the gears so they last longer.. but if any dirt gets in them they will feel stiff.. I am just saying.. dont throw them away, get them cleaned.. it may be the best $15 you have ever spent. Mine are not stiff at all.

I also have problems with my Ticas. They have froze up when it was cold out and the drags are not as smooth as I like. I think there an OK reel, but way overpriced! I also have shimano reels that work much better and were almost half the price of the Ticas.

I have like 9-11 tica 500 reels in all models. Not of them have ever froze up or been cold for me. But one thing I always do with all of my reels reguardless of brand is to shot a little blue lube on top of the bearings and under the spool on the shaft. That has served me very well for many years. I have both the 750 shimanos and tica 500 both are awesome reels but I prefer the ticas.

Well I got another SB and it worked great for me this weekend. As far freezing up I never had a problem, even in some sub-zero weather. Had a much harder time keeping the hole open and the reel worked great.

I have a number of ticas as well.All of my ice reels get taken apart,cleaned,and replaced with some hot sauce oil after i purchase them.I have no issues with reels freezing up after doing this.The grease they use is to thick and not the right viscosity for the colder temps.Burl.

I have 5 Ticas. Two of them are quite happily taped on Thorne Bros rods, and 3 are grudgingly working with inferior rods. I had one freeze up on me this weekend while fishing the tourney on Le Homme Dieu. This reel is appx 3 years old and has never given me problems before. It got a little stiff to reel, which was solved by warming it up down the front of my carharts. Just kidding, I used my hands. The second problem that arose was the anti-reverse thingy-ma-jiggy. Regardless which way I'd flip the lever, it allowed me to backreel. Granted this wasn't a problem dealing with the quality fish I caught. It was actually necessary. If any of you have caught perch in the .18-.21 lb. range, you know what I'm talking about. Perhaps she needs a shot of grease, or maybe even a bit of cleaning, I don't know. I will say, after she made the trip back to the cities, while snuggling up with the Thorne Bros set-ups in my rod bag, she seemed to be back to her old self. And as far as price goes, I bought 3 of those girls at the ice fishing show 2 years ago for $20 a pop.

I have 5 or 6 of the Tica's and am very happy with them. Caught a 34" Northern on 2# test line and the drag really got a work out and performed flawlessly. In fact, I just picked up another one for my son last night.