• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Different Pizza's

Okay, I have tried a couple "gourmet style" pizzas at home and have had some good luck (chicken alfredo pizza)...anyway I am looking for two things and hoping someone on hear might be able to help me out...I have searched the recipe sites but nothing seems to pop out....

1. I am looking for a good homeade pizza crust reciepe (not looking for a family secret)

2. I am also looking for a reciepe for Taco Pizza...I can get the toppings okay but can't get the sauce right...anyone have anything on this?

Thanks

Here is a pretty simple dough recipe, this is in restaurant quantity so you may want to pull it back a bit. Maybe about a 1/10 of what is here. Have some fun with it.

Pizza Dough

„« 21 cups flour

„« 5 cup warm water (between 95¢X and 115¢X F.)

„« 6 T yeast

„« 10 T honey

„« 1 1/4 cup olive oil

„« 2 1/2 tsp. salt

Pour warm water into a bowl. The water should be about 85 to 115¢X F. Test it with your hand. It should feel very warm, but comfortable. Add the honey and salt. Mix on low until well blended. Add the yeast and mix. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes. Add 5 cups of flour and the olive oil and mix until well blended. Add the rest of the flour (and any other additions) and mix well. The dough should turn into a ball. If the dough does not ball up because it's too dry, add water one tablespoon at a time until it does. If your mixture is more like a batter, add flour one tablespoon at a time. Adding water or flour as needed to get the right consistency will assure you always get a perfect dough. Just remember to do it in small amounts. Once the dough is balled up, place the ball on a floured board and knead for about a minute. This builds the gluten which helps the dough to rise and become fluffy when cooked. Place the dough in a covered bowl and store in a warm, dry area to rise. After about 45 minutes the dough should have about doubled in size. Show it who's boss and punch it down. That's right, give it a good smack so it deflates.

We've had pretty good results using the recipe in the bread maker cook book that came with the maker. If you like thinner crust, you need to roll it out to a bit less than 1/4" - since it is a bread of sorts it rises a bit during the cooking. I use oilive oil in the mix instead of vegtable, gives it a bit more flavor IMO.

Your Pizza dough is probably fine, my guess would be the temperature. Next time, try cooking your pizza at 500 degrees. A lot of commercial pizzerias will set their ovens at 800 degrees.

Cheffrey or anyone else that might now, if I make a large batch of dough say for pizzas, can that be cut into portions and then froze for later use or do you need to add any other ingrediants for that to be possible?

thanks guys, I have finally found a few receipes I like so now I want to make them in bulk and have them on hand. Now to just find more receipes for different types of pizzas, I found one for a Shrimp Scampi pizza, can't wait to give that one a whirl....

I managed a Pizza Hut about 10 years or so ago. The dough came in a bag you just added water. But for taco Pizza, just use refried beans as your "sauce" and spread it around. Top with chedder cheese and back. I always bake pizzas at 450 - 500 for 15 to 20 mins sometimes less. When you get it out, top with shredded lettuce, cheese and my secret ingrediant is Dorito's Taco Chips crushed. Then put salsa on it and your golden. You can also add tomatoes, sour cream, olives or anyting else you would want in a taco.

Another good Pizza, just made it today, I made crust out of 1 1/2 cups of bisquick and 1/3 cup warm water. Mix with one egg, a splash of olive oil, 1 TBSP Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic powerd and 1 teaspoon oregono. Mix and fit into a pizza dish. Make three slices of bacon (I just nuke for a couple of mins in between paper and it works great), then fry up some breakfast sausage and cut up to about 1/2 inch pieces. Scrable up five or six eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle your pizza crust with cheese and sprinkle your sausage over it. Add the egg to the top making sure it covers, sprinkle more cheese on top of the egg. Then crumble the bacon and sprinkle that on top. Stick in 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Great breakfast pizza. You could also put salsa on the crust for sauce, but my wifey doesn't like salsa with eggs.

Wade, can you send me your recipes? You have some great sounding ones I'd like to try.

For crust, I use:

2 3/4 cups flour (sometimes 1 3/4 white 1 wheat)

3 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 packet yeast

1 tbsp butter

garlic POWDER and/or oregano to taste

1 cup beer

I use a bread machine on the dough setting to do the mixing, kneading and rising.

sure,

for the crust I used my bread machine receipe (can get it if you want that) but I added

pinch of oregano

pinch of thyme

jar of 5 brothers garlic alfredo sauce

1 Tbl garlic (minced or 2 cloves fresh)

1 Tbl Olive Oil

8oz Mozzerella Cheese

1/3 C Green Onions diced (garnish)

Sliced Red Onions

1 lb Chicken Breasts cooked (julianned or diced)

1/4 C of Parmsean Cheese

I julienned the chicken and sauteed it in the olive oil and garlic (cloves fresh)

when the crust was ready I spread out the alfredo sauce evenly and then add chicken and red oninons then top with cheese bake at 375 for 15 minutes then sprinkled some fresh shredded parmasean cheese and green onins and baked for an additional 5 min...

Shane,

I will get them together and get them to you....

Now I just have keep testing some sauces for my buffalo chicken pizza....any thoughts on this one? (this is going to be my next test sauce)

Cream Cheese, Blue Cheese, Hot Sauce, with some shredded combo cheese mixed in to make it thicker.....anyway, I will post my results of this one when I try it....

I know plain pizza sauce and plain blue cheese or ranch didn't fair too well....

Maybe a 'skinny' layer of Anchor Bar's original wing sauce, over a real lite layer of creme cheese on a VERY thin crust... grilled chicken pieces with some pieces of roasted/grilled garlic on top of the sauce and then topped with crumbled blue cheese and a small amount of chopped green onion tops after it's cooked.... maybe even a small amount of roasted diced tomatoe....

That'd be plan of attack... but I hold no guarantee to the outcome!

Good Luck!

Ken

Hmmmm...

A simple one with the buffalo chicken pieces on a thin crust with a light ranch or blue cheese based sauce. I'd have to think a bit more about what else might go on that for additional cheese or fixings.

I like the sound of Labs green onion suggestion too.

That's interesting B. Amish, I have done a peanut butter sauce before on pizza's with mixing a little soy sauce and PB then grilled chicken, green onions, daikon sprouts and provolone.

We called that one a Thai Chicken, went over pretty well. Beauty of pizza's is there is so much room for play!

We used to make a "white pizza" it usually best with a thin crust. Take a alfredo sauce and spred thinly over your crust, then top with sliced chicken, sliced mushrooms, crumbled bacon, green onions, and a mix of Parm. and mozz. cheese.

BBQ chicken pizza is good too with your favorite BBQ sauce, sliced chx, redd onions and mozz and cheddar cheese.

Philly steak is another good one - alfredo sauce, philly steak meat, grilled onions peppers, onions and mushrooms with provolone cheese.

My favorite has to be a shrimp scampi pizza, get a store bottled scampi sauce, cooked shrimp, mushrooms, green onions and Parmesan and Mozz. MMMMM!!!

All of these pizzas are much better on a the thinner crust, the thinner the better.

You guys keep em coming.

Here's something I make that's a quick meal for me and my bride.French bread pizza.

Split a loaf of french bread lengthwise and slather on a bunch of storebought pizza sauce or even spagetti sauce. They usually need extra garlic and oregano. Top with any meats or veggies that are handy. Put in the oven until it looks right and then pull it out, cover with you favorite cheeses and slide it back in the oven. When the cheese has melted, put the broiler on for about a minute to toast the top.

Now for the one my wife likes best. I top the french bread pizza with fried sauerkraut. I first chop up bacon in a cast iron frypan, when its half cooked, I add slivered up onion and maybe some red bell pepper. When that has a chance to cook, I add the kraut with the juice squeezed out. Stir fry it and then use it for the topping. If you're of German heritage it makes a good meal. Sounds strange but we like it.