• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gray Jay's

Jim Uran

not sure of any "difinitive" line where the gray jay would live and winter(other birders out there would probably know more) but I would say your in their territory....quite a few around the conifer forests on the iron range and north....here's a quick pic of one I came across last week...slow lumbering ,quiet flight bird..not that afraid of us humans and they let you get quite close...jonny

Frame_hairywoodpecker.jpg

Beautiful bird, I do recall seeing them quite often when i lived in Int'l falls but this was a first for around here. My brother seen it first and he said there was a huge chickadee out in your tree!!!!!! HA HA. They called them Whiskey Jacks up there. Thanks for the info guys.

Are those the same bird that's called the Camp Robber Jay out west? I was gutting a deer in the Black Hills and two of them sat on a branch a few feet away, waiting for me to finish. I unloaded my rifle and reached into my pack for my after-hunt can of beer and when I looked back, the two were picking fat chunks off the gut pile. Within minutes, a couple more joined them and one decided to pick the fat off the hanging deer. They had absolutely no fear of me, only four or five feet away. They also liked to feed on and under our camp cooking table. Fun birds.