• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Opener Excitement

BassAkwards

I know this is way early...but as one can tell, I'm pumped for this season...anyone else just picture big bass and have them draped on their computer backdrop?

Curious as to see what people use and have had the most success as far as lures, presentation, and location on opening day?

Maybe an opening day FM event? Fish and social get together? Put faces with usernames? maybe FM does this already...putting it out there.

Thanks

Well for me alot of it depends on what the weather has been befor the opener. If its is warm and sunny out and that water temps is raising. I will be in the shallows lookin for spawning bass. Sight fishing them with tubes, senkos, Creature baits and lizares.

If the weather has been kinda on the cold side and hasnt been really warm at all and there has been storms then i will be out in the deeper water lookin for pre spawn fish. You can catch them on alot of different thing!!!!!

We have not planned a get-together on opener before.. as most people have their own little trips they usually go to.. We will do our best to set up a few low key tournaments throughout the year.

as for lure choice for opener.. I usually have a couple rods rigged and ready.. LOL... yet for me.. as stated it has a lot to do with the weather leading up to opener... I would say usually I can get away with a few rods.. #1 Funky Chicken RT Slug(soft plastic JerkBait) #2 Exude Fat Tube.. white... #3 Rapala Husky Jerk Or X-Rap... and a Spinnerbait.. often times an inline spinnerbait for the first few weeks of season.

As far as opening day for myself, I like to be able to get up and sight see a few fish if there up in the sun, if not, go and go some flipping or cranking. Strike King tubes on opening day have been a lure of choice for me for many many years. KVD STYLE. LOL cool.gif

I usually adapt to the conditions. I have run into several patterns on the same lake, especially opening weekend. Some parts of the lake have warmer or cooler water, and the temps can be as much as ten degrees different. Jigs, jerkbaits, and shallow crankbaits are always a good start.

That's kind of a loaded question. Lake fishing or river fishing? For lake fishing here in Minnesota, the first combo I pick up is a pig-n-jig, and I usually have three or four rods with different colors and trailers. As you know, a jig can be fished with many techniques that I can't get into in this post. smile.gif

There are a few lakes that are exceptions due to clear water, and I usually toss X-raps and husky jerks on those lakes. I also throw them early season (water temps 50-58) reservoir fishing in the south, since I believe the fish hang very high in the water column, since the warmer water is on the surface that time of year.

Back to lake fishing, I usually have these rigged up every trip: 10" TR worm, a buzzbait, spinnerbait, 1-2 crankbait(s), carolina rig, senko, and another yamamoto plastic which I won't mention. I have dabbled in the "jig worm" but I am still working on that technique.

I have learned that if you have to adapt to the conditions, which means a lure changeup of some kind. Below is a data dump from my fishing log software I have been writing the last two years. I will have that available for sale at some point in the very near future, but won't be able to post a link here. wink.gif

This is three years worth of top-10 lure conts.

count lure avg wgt avg len

559 pig-n-jig 2.51 16.19

143 frog 2.39 16.02

61 worm 2.09 15.02

59 senko 2.11 15.25

59 X-rap 2.08 15.4

50 buzzbait 2.09 15.26

50 terminator spinnerbait 2.26 15.47

36 Shadrap SR07 2.22 16.11

31 HJ-12 1.97 15.23

31 subwart 2.17 15.45

As you can see, the pig-n-jig puts fish in the boat for me.

Did this answer you question? smile.gif