• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just bought some real weeds

anyfishwilldo

OK, I've been reading about these real weeds, so I decided to try them. I got a weed bed 5 pack, and am planning on thier virgin voyage at Mille Lacs this W/E. My question is, are they worth the hype, or is it just another gimmick to get poeple to open thier checkbook? I guess I'll find out--maybe. I will be fishing with my brother who also bought a weed bed also; any tips for setting them up? We will be in Yukons, linked. I was thinking about having the houses being an island in the middle of the weeds.

I've got the four pack and I can't say they don't work! I always seem to catch more fish than my fishing partner.He'll tell you that they definetly work. I place them in an L shape at the corner of the house. Don't have them to close to your hole 'cause your minnow will swim into them and get tangled.

I think they work. Maybe not everytime or in every situation, but they always come with me when I go fishing now.

If you have a flasher, make sure the weeds are not too close to your hole with the transducer in it. Otherwise all you'll see are the weeds.

As Senior said... I too have had them work... There have been a few days where I really felt they upped my odds. I have never tried the L shape.. Thanks for the tip Senior. I have tried a cross, or straight line.. The square and fishing in the middle has worked too.. but I like to get the weeds a little closer together than that usually. Again a good tip, try and fish as near as you can.. but not too near. You dont want them in your cone angle of your depthfinder and dont want them too close or fish I suppose could wrap up in them.. I have not ever had this happen yet..

Good luck.. and let us know how they worked for you.

I generally try not to punch any holes for the Reel Weeds inside my portables. That kind of gives you a good general distance as to how far away from the hole you are fishing. Set-up the portable and then flip it over and punch holes outside the perimeter of the portable. I haven't had a problem with wrapping up yet.

And like Deitz mentioned, sometimes its better to have them close together so you can create a more apparent weed bed. However, just a scattered weed here and there can draw in fish to an area too, it all depends on where you are fishing and what type of structure (or lack of structure) is below you. A single strand of weed over a barren flat can draw in a lot of fish, especially when those fish are roaming without any means of a plan smile.gif

I typically drop down 4-8 SOS's when creating my own structure. Almost like a horseshore around the face or rear-end of the portable, and then I'll fish inside the shoe.

Other times all fish off an actually weed line and then set-up a series of SOS's just out from the weed line to act as a diversion for the cruising fish. A little patch of weeds away from the actually structure can be very productive. Just think of isolated weeds clumps away from the weed line in the summer, those spots usually hold a few fish, no different then under the ice when using the Reel Weeds...

One thing I had a problem with was the weight was not enough to sink the float deep enough. I added a large weight so the float sunk to less than 1/2 inch exposed. When it floated high I had the ice freeze below the float and then had to chop the ice to get the weeds out. Also by accident I discovered that when the ice froze around the float a little light snow on top really slowed the depth of freezing around the float. This was with 10 below temps.

Cal- Here are tons of pictures.. and a place you can order them...

http://ladredge.com/

As for using them around tip ups.. I have never tried it, It sthe one case where I might be worried that they would get wrapped up in them. Only because you let fish run on a tip up!.. otherwise I have never had a problem with fish getting stuck in the weeds.

Anyfish,

I'm glad you found that the product works... I have been usuing them this winter on guided trips and it has made a HUGE difference.. I have not had one trip this year were the fish did not hold in the area I was fishing. I run 2 marcum OVS 560 cameras and the reel weeds, and you can sit and watch the fish nestle right into the reel weeds on the cameras...

Good Luck,

Beef

I have had good success useing SOS. I did try to make afew of my own. The ones from Ladredge have a string running thru them,. They won't brake as easy in the cold. As far as freezing in the hole, cut a piece of old carpet and cover it so the cold air cant hit it. The schooling fish will hold longer around the SOS. As far as attracting fish I have not noticed any pattern change, they just hold longer before they rome off to the next patch of SOS.