• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait casting reels

Chester-MN

I have always used spin casting gear for fishing of all kinds and am thinking of trying bait casting gear.

I will use the baitcaster for either trolling walleyes or casting for northerns or bass.

The times I have used bait casting reels I have always snarled them up. However, I am under the assumtion (mistaken?) that I can gain some casting distance and some comfort and control when trolling by switching over. I know the only way to find out for sure is to try it myself.

So what I am really looking for is advice about a good reel for around $100.

Also, I am more than willing to accept advice on if I am on a wrong headed path. tongue.gif

Hey Chester...

I just got my first baitcaster this christmas and haven't even spooled the line yet...

I have a Quantum Accurist AC500CX. So far I have gotten great response from many folk here on this site and the research I have done on it. I think last years model is still available in most stores and at a discounted price. I think one can get one of those for under $70 now and it has 4 settings for breaking and a flipping switch... Good luck and these guys here on the site are great and knowledgable.

The Accurist is definately a good one. Other options include the line of reels offered under the Bass Pro Shops brand. They are also fine reels.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for - but you really don't need an awesome reel to get started.

Just remember to winch down the spool tension knob to the point where whatever bait you are practicing with just barely drops on its own. This will do two things while you get used to thumbing the spool (brakes): (1) will dramatically reduce the amount of backlashes/birds nests (professional overruns wink.gif) and (2) dramatically reduce the distance of your casts.

As you gain more comfort and skill with your thumb, slowly loosen the tension on the spool tension knob and, hopefully, the distance will increase without a corresponding increase in backlashes.....

Depending upon the reel, you may also have some magnetic brakes to set as well but this will vary depending upon the reel. These are really for fine tuning for the most part - like casting the same plug with/against the wind on a particular day.

I remember spending a couple of frustrating hours in the park many years ago trying to figure this all out on my own. Good luck!

Daze Off

Would you prefer a low-profile or round reel?

Low-profile, I would look at the Shimano Citica D (~$120) or the Pflueger Trion (~$100).

Round, the Abu Garcia C4 (either the 4600 or 5600) would do nicely. They're about $85 and they are offering a $15 rebate right now. Also, the Shimano Cardiff is a pretty nice round reel for $100.

I prefer a low profile, and the Citica would be my choice. They're all nice reels, but I have had some not-so-great experiences with Abu customer service. Not to say that the C4 isn't a great reel, but I'd prefer to deal with Shimano or Pflueger should the need ever arise.

chester. the big thing with a bait caster is that you can't just buy one and exspect to cast perfectly with it.they take time to learn how to use. they are not hard, just different! grin.gif follow the guide lines here, and practice. yes you will have to deal with some back lashes.( you will still get them once in a while no longer how many years you have used them!) once you master them , they are great for casting( so much more control ) , and trolling. be patient! del

Baitcasters can be tricky... They have thier advantages, and they have thier disadvantages... I would not expect longer casts with a baitcaster. Yes with some lures you can.. but I would say for the average angler probably not. Unless you are talking heavier line. Once you get past 10 lb test on spinning gear, it doesnt cast very well, and that is where a baitcaster starts to excell. Casting accuracy is also where a baitcaster is very nice.

As for reels.. some graet ones have already been mentioned.. I too vote fot the shimano CiticaD.

Years ago I went to Thorne Brothers with a similar question and they recommended a narrow-spool Ambassadeur C4. I have been grateful to them ever since. It's been an excellent reel, and it costs less than the heavily marketed and advertised low-profile reels that don't seem to remain on the market for more than a year or two.

HI I AGREE WITH THE SHIMANO CITICA I JUST BOUGHT ONE AND I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING EVERY DAY WORKS GREAT I WENT TO A LOW PROFILE REEL BECAUSE I HAVE VERY SMALL HANDS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE CASTING ALL DAY WITH A ROUND ONE HOWEVER PERSONAL PREFERENCE GOES HERE I WOULD HAVE TO SAY I HAD A COUPLE ABU GARCIAS FELL APART IN MY HANDS AND LIKE STATED IN THE COMMENTS HERE CUSTOMER SERVICE NOT THE BEST GOOD LUCK IN WHAT YOU CHOOSE

I love baitcasters and use them in many different situations. I like the ability to accurately cast in bad weather conditions like cross winds or even head winds (with lots of practice). You are always going to overrun once in a while, no matter how good you are at casting them. My advice would be to start with a simple Abu Garcia C series (like C4, C5, ect.). It is easier to cast than a low profile (which you can use later when you have more experience for lighter lures and lines). Start out with some braided line, which seems easier to cast for beginners, and use heavy lures to get the hang of fishing them. Good luck, I know once you learn to cast, you will use baitcasters all the time.

I agree with most of the members here regarding the use of bait casters. It can be challenging at first to master the technique of casting without making a huge backlash while inventing a few new words, I would know!

My wife and I used to fish using spin reels only, but since I switched to bait casters, I swear I would never go back. I have a low profile Shimano Calcutta on which I have Power Pro 20lb test line. In my opinion, heavier lines does tend to reduce distance at times however with the correct technique any line can be useful to you. I can pitch/side-arm or standard cast almost any place without backlashing but that didn't happen over night.

If you need some help, I can show you once we have open water again.

One of the earlier posters hit it on the head; it dependes on line size...lighter lines/lures a spinning reel is best, but when you get past 10 lb or so, baitcasters really shine. Trolling with any weight outfit a baitcaster will be better for line managment, and backlashes shouldn't be an issue there.

here's a question i asked in the bass forum and got mixed replies.

anybody use a left handed baitcaster? i am right handed and reel all my spinning rods with my left. however when i'm throwing a baitcaster, i cast with my right and switch over to my left to reel. i'm thinking of makeing the switch this year. cool.gif

I am lucky that I am naturally a left hand caster, so no need to switch for me. But after using a left hand reel for a day, I can see why you want to switch smile.gif

For reels, ABU c4's are top notch, and last forever, and the C3's aren't bad either. We have a bunch of them, mostly 4600 but some 5600 for muskies. But I did get an Avid in ML and put a Quantum MX500(?) low profile on it, and it is so light and compact in my hand that it feels just awesome. So I actually found a good price on CuradoD and that will make it even better (I hope).

Put PowerPro or Fireline on a casting reel and it is perfect. As another poster said, once you have one, you will need another... and another.... and another... wink.gif

I'm a righty but all my baitcasters are left handed. I prefer to control the cast with my right arm and the thumb the reel with my right hand. Lure hits water and I am reeling no switching hands. That second or so can make a big difference when you drop a bucktail on a muskies head.

I started using a bait caster last summer. (The wife and kids gave it to me for fathers day). I still haven't gotten the hang of casting without rats nests, but I do love it for trolling. On the river near little falls last 4th of July the smallies we biting and the rod got a FANTASTIC workout.