• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

critical bass tackle

BassAkwards

I just got my first baitcaster for christmas. Accurist 2 by quantum. i'm excited to get out there and try it... Anyway, i have 200 bucks to Cabelas in Gift Cards and am looking to fill up my tackle box with more bass fishing tackle. Any suggestions of what I must have? Looking for specifics... Thanks!

Welcome!

A White spook for the top along with green hard nose toad. Yellow and green soft stick baits (slog-go) for top to bottom (just a 5/0 hook). Lipless crank-baits in bluegill pattern and blue-silver. Red shad worms for the bottom. That is my quick list.

No need to get carried away with your purchases. Start with a few things:

1) Purple, motor oil, and red shad Culprit worms and some good 3/0 hooks. Some 1/8 ounce to 1/4 ounce bullet sinkers.

2) Some spinner baits of good quality (they cost more and have ballbearing swivels but they're worth it. Around $5 each.) Colors: white, and black/orange for starters.

3) Stuff for Carolina rigs for deeper fishing: red shad plastic salamanders, 3/4 ounce egg sinkers, swivels, and maybe some 1/4" glass beads.

4) A couple of good crank baits to match the depth you want to fish. I like Poe's 300 and 400, but some don't like them because they've gotten some that don't run true. I have read good things about Bomber crankbaits because they work and they run true.

5) If you fish near weedbeds, try a big black football bass jig. The kind with the big skirts. About 3/8 ounce.

I agree with the spooks too. You need some kind of topwater you're comfortable with.

For line, consider Trilene XT. 10# has always been adequate for me. Most guys like it heavier. I tried Power Pro braid a couple of years ago and I like it so much that I plan to keep using it. It is expensive, so I don't recommend you try it right away. Wait until you've gotten used to your baitcaster and don't get "birds nests" any more. You'll figure that out very quickly and you'll really like baitcasters soon.

A couple of tips:

1) Don't cast into the wind when you're first learning to cast the baitcaster. The lure slows down fast and you get birds nests too easily.

2) Follow the instruction of adjusting the knob so that the bait drops very slowly at first.

3) Learn to slow the spool with your thumb.

4) Let the lure drop into the water before starting to crank. You can drastically reduce the life of some reels by starting to crank while a fast flying bait stops abrubptly, imparting a sudden jolt to the reel.

Congrats on the accurist! That's a great reel you have.

Great advice on the baitcaster. That advice is so good I have little more to add to it.

Power pro or other superlines seem to be the way most people are going because at some point or another you'll be weed fishing and you'll need to pull fish out of the weeds. If or when you get around to the superlines, get the biggest poundage you can get so you don't have problems with it cutting down into your spool when you do get a backlash. The thickness of the line is the benefit you will reap with it since it won't cut in as easily; beyond that you won't ever break a line and you'll be able to break through any slop you find.

As far as additional tackle, you have a good start. Some cranks, some worms, spinnerbaits, some topwaters. You've got your bases covered and now it's up to you to pick from those to find favorite brands, colors, sizes, or new deviations on old themes.

da_chise31:

I have been reading really good things about the Sufix Performance Braid line too. I have been using Power Pro 30# and never have had it dig into the line. The only thing I can fault it for is that the color lightens very quickly, but it stabilizes to a light green. Not a problem.

I originally got the Power Pro so I could have a lower resistance line for trolling in rivers. It works really well for that. Another thing I like about it is that they claim that you don't need to re-tie as often. So I started using a small snap at the end of the line, palomar knotted. To change rigs from, say, live bait, to some kind of artificial, I just snap on another rig. Can't afford lots of rods and reels, so it's a system that works well. The good thing is that not re-tying has caused me no grief in two seasons of fishing. I just re-tie to the snap occasionally at home.

I have been tying my fishing knots the same since I was a young child. the twist and thread through the eye, think its a cinch knot(?). Are there better ways to tie knots? Does anyone use those snap swivels for quick lure change or tie the line always to the lure/rig.

Thanks for the help so far!

BassAkwards:

Take a look at this site (all one line):

http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedclinch/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&HSOforum=www.animat

1) I like the improved clinch knot for a lot of things because it tells you if you tied it wrong by starting to slip immediately when you put some pressure on it. It's a really good knot.

2) The Palomar knot is one you need to learn because it is a very good knot, easy to tie even with cold, wet hands in dim light. It is also the knot of choice when using braids because it is one of the few knots that work with braids. The improved clinch knot cannot be used with braids because it slips undone.

2) The blood knot for joining broken lines. But see if you can find the diagram for the "simple blood knot" because it's a stronger and better knot, although it takes some practice to get used to it. See Kreh and Sosin's book on practical fishing knots, volume 2.

3) The no-slip loop knot. Also in Kreh and Sosin. Super loop knot. Excellent! Easy to tie too.

4) Variations on the uni-knot.

5) Bimini twist. Very important when fishing top waters for hard-striking fish. Looks horribly complicated, but it's really pretty simple. Just a little time consuming.

6) Twist melt. Used with nylon coated wire for leaders. I use it to make my own leaders for pike fishing. I use a 20# nylon coated wire, a ballbearing swivel, and a small snap. This is an important thing because if you're fishing in Minnesota, you'll likely be fishing in water with pike. One day I lost $35 worth of lures because I insisted on fishing without a pike-proof leader. Don't let it happen to you (or the poor pike that then have to get rid of the lure). A uni-knotted heavy mono leader is good too. I like hard 25# mono double-uni-knotted to my line.

Great find on the knot HSOforum! I agree with you on the power pro-it does lighten but I don't mind it too much because it goes to a lighter green.

Now I can get my boy scout knot patch laugh.gif

Good fishin'

Thanks for the knot tying site. I like the animation...

With regards to crankbaits... Most of the bass fishing I have done has been in shallow water using either spinners or texas rigged plastics. Some of the fishing shows I have been watching obviously use cranks and they have good success when fishing in deeper water. For some reason, I feel I have been taught that most cranks are best used for pikes and the like. kinda getting the [PoorWordUsage]ed off strike... or for trolling... it seems I am always fishing in weeds or cover and all the hooks seem to be a pain in the butt. Its funny b/c I've always had this rattle shad, orange belly to yellow with tiger stripes(not sure of color name) and I never thought of using it in my bass arsenal. Any insight with depth and cover uses? maybe this should be a new thread...How deep here in MN do the bass go and what structure are they near to go to that depth? (not speaking of winter...i think one prolly gets the idea)

Thanks again...

It's okay to tell me to get a book or something... smile.gif

I realize that most folks here will reject this advice, but hey! its a new season coming. Barbless hooks. Smash the barbs down on each new lure. Will you lose a fish? Maybe. But you'll also be able to quickly remove hooks from hands, dogs muzzles, kids foreheads,your partners posterior,a bunch other tackle, your sweatshirt or your cheek. Every summer HUNDREDS of people in MN end up in the emergency rooms. Help fight high medical costs. Go barbless!

Quote:

I just got my first baitcaster for christmas. Accurist 2 by quantum. i'm excited to get out there and try it... Anyway, i have 200 bucks to Cabelas in Gift Cards and am looking to fill up my tackle box with more bass fishing tackle. Any suggestions of what I must have? Looking for specifics... Thanks!

You said this is your first baitcaster but didn't say if you had a rod for it. I'm just wondering what you have.

I the rod I got is a Berkley Lightning rod that my dad got for me. 6ft medium heavy 1/4-1 1/4. It doesn't have a long handle...almost a pistol grip but not really... I think I might give it to my girlfriend, slap on a zebco for her, and get a 6'6" with the long handle. Any suggestions anyone? I would like to keep it around $100 bucks or less. This is my first so I figure I can do it semi cheap while learning the ropes.

Thanks

St. Croix

Wonderful rods.

Capras has a pretty good selection and they're a good tackle shop. The lure weight of the one you have is fine. Why don't you just give it a try and see if you like it. Nothing wrong with a six foot rod.

Another option that I really like is the Cabelas Salt Striker 3 piece travel rod for medium heavy lures up to 1.5 ounces. It comes with a travel case and I like it because it's super good quality, under $100, and I can take it with me on a plane. It's seven feet long. It is likely cheaper than the St. Croix rods.

I'm kind of an oddball when it comes to rods. I prefer multi-piece rods because they facilitate travel and storage, which is important to me. Most hard-core fishermen these days like one-piece rods. They're fine if you're going to keep them in an on-board rod locker.

In any case, you cannot go wrong with either rod. I think the Premier line of St Croix rods is the one you want to look at. Avid is top of the line, but I compared both whe I was looking for a new spinning rod last year and I liked the lower cost model better.

Since we're on the topic of new beginnings, I'll share a new beginning of my own that is relevant to BassAkwards.

I've never liked trolling because it's boring. Fortunately I was able to ask Larry Dahlberg about his recommendations for learning to troll and he told me about Buck Perry's book Spoonplugging. I had seen it before, but it's written in such a preachy and dogmatic way that it turned me off. However, Mr. Dahlberg's recommendation was something I could take seriously. So I bought the book and read it with Dahlberg's assurance in mind.

The book turned out to be what will probably the most important book on fishing I've ever read. It will, in particular, give you the background for understanding how to get away from the weeds and start using the rest of the lake. The techniques have withstood the test of time. You may want to go out and get yourself a copy.

I got mine used through ABEBOOKS.com or perhaps Amazon.com I paid about $6 or $8.

If it was me I would take the money and go out and buy a second rod and reel setup, cuz your going need it grin.gif you can nickle and dime so to speak your tackle. Buy a little at a time. Most if not all fishermen will tell you that there boxes are filled with things they never use or use very little. I'll bet I could point a finger out through your screen and there will be fishermen nodding that they have tackle boxes that don't get opened but are full of lures.. Start off with something tailored to your new baitcasters. Plugs, spinner baits, stick baits. Better to get good matching the rod and reel to a certain bait. Then you can add more rods as you add techniques. Won't even get in to the fact that then you will have a reason to buy more tackle, as needed smirk.gif

Oh yea! Spoonpluging! If you want to FIND fish it's a must read. Other wise your just fishing behind every one else on the lake.

Lipless crankes are a great tool. They can be fished at all depths. One of the best is to throw it along (not at) weed line as you move down it. Ticking weeds is a good thing. If you hang up, rip it free. just a nice steady retreave let the weed change the speed for you. Once you find them you can change to somthing differant.

Bobby Bass hit it on the head when he talked about boxes of tackle that hardly see daylight - let alone water - so I got to thinking about my own beginnings with bass fishing and what I had/used and if it would change today.

When I started I had a bag of 7.5" Culprit worms in Red Shad, some round bend straight shank worm hooks and a handful of 3/4 oz bullet sinkers (for bank fishing I had to throw it a mile), a Zara Spook that I did not know how to work for the first year, a white spinnerbait, and a crankbait of some kind. Needless to say, the worms got the workout.

Today I would still go with the worms, the Zara, and the spinnerbait if that is all I could have to use. If possible I would add a black/blue jig with trailer, a bag o' senkos, and a bag o' soft plastic jerkbaits to round it out.

Others?

Daze Off

Since the reel is Quantum you might want to look at the new Alliance Rods by Quantum. They are species specific and have an over the counter or back to factory life-time warranty (no additional money to send in). They should sell for under 70 bucks most places.

gotta get a few spinnerbaits. i go cheap, then when i break one off, i've got another and am not out a fivespot. i will say this. i spent some cash once and got a good one. it did seem to work easier, and maybe even out fish the other guys on my boat. of course it might have just been my skill grin.gif if you are fishing shallow, you will come across "slop" you MUST HAVE a hollow bodied frog for this. i use a snagproof tournament frog. the originals are way to small for a new baitcast user. i let my wife throgh them on spinning gear. you can always find a fish in the slop, even on those HOT days. just remember to fish slow, and think like a frog. not a smart frog, the kind of frog who gets himself eaten. i see too many people burning there frogs on the slop. all that stuff is kinda hard for a bass to focus in on kermit.

gotta get a bag of worms, any brand will do. people have their own favorites, but they all do the same thing. 2 or 3 different colors.

i like a popper or shad boddied walk the dog lure. i use my long spooks for pike. they love em.

jerkbaits, i like the husky jerk, or the rattlin rogue.

and don't forget your brain. never be afraid to do something different on the water. you don't have to think like a fish, just think like the bait cool.gif

sorry i got so preachy, don't know where that came from. you obviously know how to fish the only thing new is the reel. tongue.gif