• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire chains???

fly651

Are you talking for a car/truck or for an ATV or a garden tractor or what? Farm type stores are your best bet. For a vehicle, I bought some last year before the Colorado elk trip, and I went with the cable type and boy are they the cat's meow. SO easy to use and very effective...

Tire chains are hard to find in minn.because they are Illeagle I was looking for a set a few years ago and found thats why I could'nt find any,Bought mine in Colo.When I took a trip.I got 3 sets only use 2 for my Jeep with plow to get to IceHouse.I should add they're Illeagle on the street.

Chains aren't illegal on roads, but there are restrictions on their use.

Minn. Stat. 169.72 TIRE SURFACE:

It shall be permissible to use any of the following on highways: implements of husbandry with tires having

protuberances which will not injure the highway, and tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to skid.

I can't speculate on your particular situation because I don't know the facts. Maybe the court believed your chains were not within reasonable proportions, or they were not being used for safety reasons, or both. The exception to the statute regarding chains of reasonable proportions doesn't indicate chains are prohibited in MN, but their use is restricted to only those situations "tending to cause a vehicle to skid."

What are reasonable proportions? I don't know as it's fairly ambiguous. What are those situations tending to cause a vehicle to skid? I guess that would depend on a lot of factors including the type of vehicle and the driver's skill.

Here's the link to the statute in its entirety:

http://ros.leg.mn/bin/getpub.php?pubtype=STAT_CHAP_SEC&year=2006&section=169.72&keyword_type=exact&keyword=tire+chains

And no I cannot represent you as I'm not a lawyer, yet. Now I have to get back to reading poorly worded statutes and contradictory court decisions. confused.gif

Cheers.

Quote:

So muskey:

Can old 4yr.old tickets be brought back to court? And would you defend me??protuberances which will not injure the highway,

It's a 2003 statute, you may have gotten the ticket before the statute was in place.