• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging Raps......Are they worth a darn

sparky88

I am pretty much a live bait fisherman, but I am thinking about expanding my presentations for when live bait isn't working. What's your opinion of the Jigging Rapala's & what colors should I buy first? Thanks.

I have had really great luck with Jigging Raps, usually i try to match the color with what the fish are eating, if they are eating white bass, use white, and so on. I found that you need to modify the lures for ultimate hook seeting by taking the treble off of the jigging rap when you buy it and purchasing, the next size larger treble (usually i buy ultra point) and put it on there. Also i clip the front hook off, by doing this you will not loose as many fish at the hole when that hook gets caught on the ice.

I have also stuck to live bait for ice fishing- but tried a jiggin rap at LOW when the fishing was slow. It out fished anyting else hands down! I have since bought a few and at least use them to bring the fish in for a look- and use different presentations on the dead stick.

I never liked them, but last month we used them successfully to attract fish. We were jigging them in a hole right next to a hole where we had a dead stick/live bait presentation, and we could see the fish come in on the flasher and then take the live bait.

And we were getting some hits on the jigging rap, as well. I think they have their place...I'll use them again in similar situations.

Quote:

We were jigging them in a hole right next to a hole where we had a dead stick/live bait presentation, and we could see the fish come in on the flasher and then take the live bait.

Did the exact same thing last weekend, but with a camera watching too - it really works! Those things really attract the fish (I threw a few red wigglers on the treble hook too) - For the most part the fish would go after the jig/wiggler combo after the rapala attraction phase smile.gif

Oh, they work...! It's fun when you first develop that confidence in something that really shouldn't logically produce as well as a more natural/live presentation, just like when they're hitting on the Rapalas tossed at 'em on the open water. You don't need to go broke buying bait, try to keep it alive, waste all those precious milliseconds rebaiting, etc... Try the glow jigging Raps.

Yesterday as a personal birthday present I took the day off and went fishing. I decided to try a jigging rap for the first time. After getting set up I put a minnow head on the treble and I decided to lower the hook slowly 'cause I wan't to see how far down I could see it. I was over 16' of water and about 6' down I saw a huge norther slam into my rapala. He missed it the first time and then turned for another shot and missed it again. I had lots of strikes like that over the next three hours. They seemed to want to strike at it but not very accurately or not very sincerely. I finally switched to a ball-head jig and caught one of them. Never thought to set the other rig at the same depth with just a live minnow. Might have been the cat's meow. I'll have to try that next time.

Bob

Oh ya they work. Jigging spoons are still my favorite but the rap has to be a my second favorite. I also like to rig them a little different to. I like to put dropper on instead of the regular treble. This helps trigger them when they are less aggresive. If they are aggresive then it doesn't matter. When fishing a treble I like to put just one minneow head on the dropper. But if I am fishing them regular without a dropper. I put the head on the treble and then hook the tail on the back hook of the jigging rap. This give the lure a little different motion and always it to flutter a little more. There are really alot of ways to fish them and give them a different look. My favorite color is the glow red jigging shad rap.

iffwalleyes...I too like using droppers, but I use 'em under vertical presentations. I've tried them under the jigging raps, because I think that would be a great conbination...but I can't seem to keep the droppers from tangling up on the jigging raps...I often try it, but usually abandon the idea after a few minutes of dealing with tangled droppers.

OMG You guys make this too complicated.....to realize their potential u have to know that jigging raps have been around long before the "jigging rap" was invented. They have been handlining those things since the 1800's. I dont use anythign but a jigging rap and whoever says that you can only catch active fish is really missing out. yes there is an art to it especially when they are used for species other than walleyes. the original colors in dull baitfish work best for me. Dont dare add anythign to it cuz it kills the action on the rap. not even a minnow head!! but sometimes fish like the different action.....its just too hard to tell until you experiment.

What size do you typically fish for Walleyes? I am heading north in a week or two and would like to pick a couple up before I come. They seem to come in a very wide variety of sizes and colors.

Knutty

knutty, my go to sizes are number 5's but i have caught them on every size from 2's through 9's. Even tiny 11-14 inch walleye can take a nine, but all around use 5's are hard to beat. As of this winter im turning into more of a # 7 guy as the bigger fish seem to be falling for bigger baits. Oh yeah a depthfinder really helps in fact it is almost a must for this type of fishing. And another thing is fish take some coaxing to hit this. i think it is safe to say that 99-100 fish will hit this lure when u "walk" it off the bottom with the fish following it up.

Yes the dropper will tangle from time to time but I use just short about 2-2.5" set up I like to just use Northland Tackle stinger hooks and just snap them on. Ususally you can keep working it and it will come off. As far as changing the action often that is the key that can make more fish bite. From my experience.

Quote:

Will Crappie hit the Jiggin Rap too? I keep trying waxies and power baits even when things get slow. Maybe I should try the rap.

Sure they would you'll want to use a smaller size but they will work.

Quote:

Will Crappie hit the Jiggin Rap too?

I have a few of the smaller Nills Master Jiggin baits.. which look very simlilar to the Jigging rapalas.. I catch quite a few crappies on them.. they are a great search bait to see if fish are around.

I personally like the lures that are a little shorter and fatter.. its what has worked best for me..

Quote:

Will Crappie hit the Jiggin Rap too?

Very much so. Somedays that is all they seem to want to hit.

#3's and 5's for the crappies work best. Perch color is a tough one to beat for me.

Somedays you need a minnow head, somedays you don't. Let the fish tell you what they want.

Just like letting them tell you if they want it ripped and paused, lifted slowly, jiggled, etc....

Be versatile with this lure, because this lure is VERY versatile itself!

One of my first times using my jigging raps was about 5 weeks ago. I had fished Friday night and Saturday morning with a red hook/minnow combo, and caught maybe 3 or 4 walleyes. Saturday afternoon/evening I switched to a perch colored jigging rap and fished for about 2 hours, and then fished for about 3 hours on Sunday morning. In those 5 hours I picked up 19 walleyes. I know it sounds like an infomercial, I couldn't believe it either.