• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pileated woodpecker feeder

bgmny

I have been having frequent visits from a female Pileated woodpecker this year. This is also the first year I have offered suet as well. My question is, what type of suet feeder would anyone suggest? I checked at the bird store and found cedar suet feeders with a large tail rest that is suppose to help give the bird balance while feeding. The other type was a simple log of wood with holes drilled through it that accepts suet plugs of different foods. Does one of these feeders work better than another? Also what flavors of the packaged suet do they seem to prefer? Any information would be appreciated.

With a shortage of mature trees right next to my house, I dug in a wooden post and put a 1x8 board about three feet long running up it, and attached the wire box suet feeder (the one that's sold with the suet cakes and is just the right size for h them) toward the top of the board. That leaves plenty of the face of the board (about 2.5 feet) below the suet cage. No pileateds yet, but if one comes, there'll be support.

We have a couple of Pileated at the suet feeder all day long. I went with the biggest wire feeder I could find. Now I buy pound blocks of suet from the butcher and chop of portions to fit the feeder. I secured the feeder to a large Oak with bands of metal strapping.