• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chippewa Flowage resorts - referrals?

ddp

The Family (wife, 5 month old, 2.5 yr old, mother/father-in-law) are thinking of heading to the flowage this summer for a little R&R and of course throw the big baits. Wondering if anybody has any recommendations as to where to rent a cabin, etc? I have checked out the flowage info HSOforum. There is a list of like 30 resorts. They all look great but you and I know pictures can be a little deceiving. I have heard there are more things to do on the north east side of the lake.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The northeast side has several options. Treelands resort has cabins but is pretty costly. Dun Roven may still rent cabins unless they are all sold now but it too is costly. Other options would include Deerfoot Lodge which has a motel (cabins are all sold) and some food. Deer Run Resort has 5 cabins & some food. Middlestadts may rent cabins, not sure. Golden Fawn I believe has some cabins. R & R Bayview has cabins and full bar with a full menu and the price is reasonable for this area. I would check out R & R Bayview first. Its nice to have a good place to eat with a full menu right where your staying.

R&R is an ok place and it does have a very nice menu in the bar. I stayed there to fish and it was great. Not sure I would want to spend a week there with the in-laws and young kids. No pool or beach to speak of although you can take a short hike to a sandy spot in the channel that comes into the resort. Cabins were small but comfortable.

Trelands is very nice but as stated it is also very expensive. If you got the $$ go to Trelands.

Well after 30 phone calls we ended up at Johnson's Resort in cabin number 9. Eveyone was booked. Hopefully the name of the cabin will be a good sign "Musky"

Now I will need to find a Wisc forum when June roles around to find out what is happening out there for the bite.

That might be a waste of time becuase when my father-in-law and I hit the water together, we are ice cold smile.gif

Thanks all!

If your going there in June you might want to venture to the west side if the east side is not producing any results for you. The average depth of the west side is quite a bit shallower and warms faster than the east side. The water is also clearer on the west side so weed growth should be ahead of that on the east side. But while on the east side I would definitely spend a lot of your time fishing Big & Little Petes bars. If anything is happening on the east side at all it should be happening on those two spots. I would not fish water any deeper than maybe 8 or 9 ft on the west side and no deeper than about 6 or 7 feet on the east side. Make sure you get a black or brown bucktail with the lime florescent green colorado blade for this water. A yellow bucktail with the same color blade for sunny days. You might see a lot of other people throwing them out there but there is a reason for that. They work!! Twitching small to medium size minnow baits can work also at times. And topwaters on this water work very well if the water temp is at or above about 60 degrees and especially early or late in the day under low light conditions or anytime there is a lot of cloud cover. Tally Whacker style baits, creepers, hawg wobblers, and globes work best in black or orange. Use a slow & steady retrieve with all lures. The biggest mistakes people make on this water are 1) Too fast of a retrieve. Slow is the ticket. 2) Using baits that they think will work because its something different than what everyone else is using. Don't let that happen to you. 3) Fishing too deep of water. Don't let that happen either.

Stick to bucktails and topwaters with a SLOW retrieve in water no deeper than I mentioned above or I can assure you that you will struggle out there.

One more thing. If you are sharing spots like Big & Little Petes bars with a lot of other boats don't let that bother you. They are there for a reason. A lot of people won't fish these spots if a lot of other boats are there. This is a BIG mistake!!