• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FAV TECHNIQUE??

Bassboy1645

I prefer whatever the fish want. That aside if you had to pick ur 2 best techniques what are they?? Mine are pitching jigs into weed pockets and casting cranks shallow. Those 2 techniques can get me through summer pretty much and routinely catch decent fish. im not a fan of spinners or rigging but they can be deadly at times... ooo.gif

Good Mid-winter topic for all of us who are dreaming about open water.

I like jigging, casting cranks, open water trolling and the lighted slip bobber at night.

I hate drifting spinners!

Drifting or trolling spinners can be down right deadly at times (especially on Rainy Lake).

When opener hits, I'm pitching jigs to the weedlines and up on points, etc. I will also lindy rig a minnow or leech. I might try slip bobbering, but I rarely have the patience to sit there and watch a bobber float while I could be moving around hunting fish.

When the water starts to heat up in June and early July I'll switch to spinners with crawlers, floaters with crawlers or leeches, yet I keep the jigs pretty handy too for some agressive jigging.

This year, when July hits on through the summer months I'm going to work on trolling cranks along weedlines, over deep water, you name it. I'll also be fancasting weed pockets, points, etc. with cranks too.

One thing I learned last fall - casting and trolling cranks and rattletraps can be deadly. So I'll be focusing on those techniques this fall (if I'm not out calling in geese and ducks). smirk.gif

A couple more months and we should begin to see signs of open water. cool.gif

Trolling and casting cranks, if you cant get them doing this then pulling and drifting spinnerbaits or jigs. I love to fish the weeds and I love to fish the basin! Most of the lakes I fish have panfish that will peck the heck out of a spinner and live bait rig so I avoid them most times of the year. My 2 cents!

Tunrevir~

What ever happens to be catching fish is my favortite one!

To make it simpleI will list some of the ways I boat walleyes.

Pitching jigs to shorlines and structure is tough to beat ice out to late spring. Just can't beat that first TAP of the season.

3-way and live bait or crankbait. A common river technique.

Handlining. It's different, fun and productive.

Trolling cranks, whether it be long lining, lead core or planer board there is just that sensation when your rod doubles over or your board sinks like a bobber!

Vertical jigging, the anticpation!

Live bait rigging, sometimes it is nice to slow down and finesse.

Casting cranks, I put some dandy fish in the boat last September casting to shallow water. When you hook a piggie they are not happy AT ALL.

Slip bobbers, Some of my most memorable nights were spent slip bobering the rocks on Mille Lacs. (Sorry Honey crazy.gif)

To pick one would be tough, but I would have to go with pitching jigs. It works well year round, in all depths and the presentation can be varied to no end.

mw

I like trolling planers with floating rapalas, jigging, floating jigheads while sitting on shore at night with a campfire and the loon's cry in the dark on the water, but if I was just allowed one technique, it would have to be trolling a crawler harness with bottom bouncers. I have caught more walleyes and other fish with that technique. The only place I don't use it is the fall run on LOTW or Lake Superior. Other than that, I don't leave home without bottom bouncers and crawler harnesses.