• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
EBass

Drilling Kittywampus Holes

I think my equilibrium may be off as I can't seem to drill a straight hole. Luckily I have a 10" auger to make up for said crookedness. I seem to start straight, then push out, and turn, then over compensate,(UGH) and I was wondering if any of you FM'ers had some tips for drilling straight holes? I just could be that guy too grin.gif No Offence That Guy smirk.gif

If you just can't get it plumb any other way, I suppose you could mount a bird-eye level on the top of the powerhead. Then you could watch to keep it plumb as you're drilling.....Gregg

If you have a dual blade auger (i.e. Strikemaster Lazer) you could have one blade duller that the other...The auger should do all the work (very little if any pushing)and go straight down. Try new blades first!

like rm said, you shouldnt be leaning orver your auger just hold it straight out from you and let the blades do the work, even if its a chipper blade, if its sharp, you wont have to do any pushing. I use to have the same problem!

I had an old Jiffy 3HP 10" that I never could drill straight holes with. Once I switched to the 8" Lazermag I haven't had to sit five feet away from the hole to sightfish anymore! Still haven't figured that one out...

EBass,

There is also a story involving a snow free ice surface, an auger, some beverages, a scarf and an attached belt buckle from one of those old style snowmobile suits, but we won't get into that one here.......... shocked.gif

I put a two bladed 8" Lazer on my ancient Strikemaster 49cc powerhead years ago, it does work really well as long as I am paying attention. Not too hard to keep it straight.

when my buddies and I get together for our annual ice fishing weekend, I usually drill one or two holes on a 60 degree angle, and then walk away from that house. we have actually a number of decent fish out of the sideways hole....

I've heard that fish are easy to land using a sideways hole. Mine aren't THAT bad, but it's not straight either.

It looks straight when I'm drilling until I get all the ice chips out and see that it spirals kinda like a cork screw or will be straight down then go off on a direction.

Oh well, I'll keep at it. Thanks for the posts