• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skeeter Walleye/Multi Species Boats?

prov1900

Anyone own one of these? What is the general consensus? Seem to be pretty fair priced for glass. Thought about going to one prior to buying my current Lund. Didn't, because I needed the full topset for the kids/wife/dog. Just curious, because no one, and I mean no one ever seems to talk about Skeeter.

I looked at them when I bought my Ranger but went with the Ranger because of the interior layout. A good buddy of mine just bought an 1880WX at the boat show, we are really looking forward to getting it out on the water. I would say Skeeter is one of the "top 5" (or so) glass boats, in the same neighborhood as Ranger, Triton, Warrior, etc.

I looked at the 1880 also. Nice boat and all, but has a lot of front deck space. Consoles are set back further than other models. For most fishermen, that would be a good thing, but for me, my wife, 2 young kids and all the stuff that gets brought along, I felt it was better to have more cabin space than bow deck space.

Still, they are a real nice boat....both the 1880 and the other models up to the 2050. (oops...previously had my boats mixed up there!)

I own an older Skeeter 1850, and I must say I would buy another in a heartbeat (if I could afford a 2050 w/ 300hp. lol ). I've owned aluminum rigs, fished in some other glass boats, but I tell ya the ride is very unique in a Skeeter. These boats perform very well...fast, very dry and take on big water with ease. Skeeters have a great hull design that I personally love over the competition.

Over the years of reading so much on the internet I have yet to hear anyone complain of a major issue with a Skeeter. There is a lot of reading out there on the internet these days about boat problems, but not a Skeeter that I've seen. Maybe that's why you haven't heard much of them? :grin::grin:

I know my boat is well used for the past 13 years, several tournaments under it's hull and the boat doesn't show it.

My buddy bought a Skeeter older than mine, a first walleye boat they built, and he loves his also. He brought my attention to Skeeter and the boat I currently own.

I have a 2006 Skeeter WX1880, F150 and T8. I bought it last (06) February at the boat show. I looked at many boats - for many months - when I was trying to decide. I did not limit myself to any specific "brand" when I was looking either. I tried to compare all boat brands that were compatable with what I personally wanted in/on my rig. I've owned two other boats before this one, each being larger and more HP, until this one. This is also my first glass boat. The other two were Alumacrafts. I absolutely love the Skeeter. It handles great in big water and it has a very dry ride. The Yamaha F150 seems to give the boat a good hole shot, mid-range and top end speed. I can get 49 GPS MPH with the boat loaded with all tourney gear, 40 gallons of gas and 2 guys (with a modified prop/motor height). I have fished some minor tourney's from it too. I love the big "fishability" feeling it allows for with the larger front deck and big rear area when trolling. It could use some more storage, but that seems to be a problem with every boat in my opinion. I have a lot of hours on it already and have had no problems. I've trailered it to Red, Cass, Mille Lacs, Minnewaska, M.R. Pool 2, 3 and 4 and many other lakes. It trailers very nice too.

My wife and two kids also seem to love the boat too. They ski/tube behinde it and we spend a lot of family time in it. It works great just as designed.

In the end, when I was comparing boats, I looked at the Lund Pro V, Skeeter WX, the Tuffy, the Yar Craft, Crestliner 1850 and the Ranger Reata. Again, I really tried hard to leave the "brand" out of my equation and focus strictly on the boats' physical properties, the motor specs, open space in the boat, the fishing set-up, and all the other gear that came with each boat package. In the end, boat for boat, I selected Skeeter. I think I got exactly what "I" wanted - and for a very good price. I did add a buch of other stuff after-the-fact too, but the base boat was and is great.

I am very happy with my choice in Skeeter - and also I like the fact that not many people have the same rig (yet).

......I like being unique. grin.gif

I have the 2005 Skeeter WX1880 powered with the Yamaha 150 and T8 kicker. Its a very fishable boat and handles big water as well as anything I've experienced. I'm curious what motor height and prop change you made to increase your top end speed. You are considerably faster than my boat: 42 mph GPS.

I rised my F150 up one hole from where it was from the factory. I tried several props to get to where I am at now. I have had no problems with water pressure either. I think it went something like a Tempest 21P, Revolution 4, the 19P black Yamaha prop (again - afterwards) and one other 19P custom prop - but I can't remember the name. I also tested a 20P Enertia. In the end, I kept the Enertia on the boat/motor. It will run abour 5700 +/- RPM wide open/full trim and 49 GPS MPH with 2 guys and a full load. I think I could've actually gone to a 19P Enertia to get even more RPM's from it though (the max is 6k RPM, optimum is 58/59K RPM). I may send the Enertia in and have it blueprinted and preformance cupped/ballanced. The prop guy says he can get me 200 RPM's more by doing so. This should be max then. I just have to decide if the $200.00 is worth it.

I would also like to eventually try a 19P Tempest. I tested a 21P. I really think a 19P would provide for great results, but I do not know anyone with a 19P to test try. By the way, the black 19P Yamaha prop that came with the motor also got me up to about 47/48 MPH GPS, but it was at 6000 RPM's wide open (a bit high) so I am just going to keep and use that as my backup prop.

I posted all my exact test results on another fishing HSOforum back in September of '06. The tests were done on two separate days, but all on P2 of the Mississippi - with the same 2 guys, gear and gas in the boat. Water/temp/wind conditions were also the same both times out, so I believe the test results to be pretty accurate.

Send me a PM and I'll tell you where to look if you wish.

Thanks for the data. It seems the motor is set too low in the water from the factory. I'm assuming when raising the motor the cavitation plate is now approximately level with the bottom of the very stern of the boat rather than the "true" bottom of the boat as mine is currently.

I would have PMed you but PM is not currently enabled. Thanks again for the data. I have arranged for similear testing for my boat this spring and your data should help the dealer I'm working with Up North. We fish Crane Lake, Sand Point and Namakan so speed and fuel economy has become a big issue for us. So much so, that I'm also installing the Lowrance Fuel Management Sensor this spring.