• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane filled by the pound?

B@ssmaster

Anyone know of anyplace that charges by the pound around Maple Grove or Shoreview areas? Have 3 tanks that belong to the scout troop that need topping off and want to conserve what little funds the troop has. I saw the other thread in the Metro Lakes forum, but no one had any places in the northern tier....

Thanks

Try the shoreview Exxon (lex and 694) They did when I worked there many years ago. There are still several places that will top off if you tell them thats all you need. Its not that big of a deal to measure before the fill and subtract.

Not sure if they will do it or not but the best luck with LP for me lately has been the Marathon on 81 in Osseo. I think it is Sipes or something like that. So far I have had two motorhomes and a 20# filled there and two 20# elsewhere. The tanks filled at the elsewhere place are having bad problems and I think the OPD might be ruined.

I am never concerned about whether a business fills my tank by the pound or a fill charge. I appreciate that they offer this service and that I can stop at a bait shop and get all my bait, lures and gas in one stop. The profit on filling tanks is pretty marginal and it doesnt bother me that they will make a extra dollar on me for the service they provide.

Actually they make a lot of money refilling tanks. I'm currently paying $1.60 a gallon for propane to heat the house.

Theres around 2.5 gallons of propane in a 20# tank. So I'm paying a little over $4 for 20lbs. With refilling and exchange costs running around $15 for a 20lb tank there is a good margin of profit.

That's correct ST, 2.3 gallons in a 20 pounder. I have a tank fill hose on my 500 gal tank. I admit it is convenient, but, many providers will not install a tank fill on tanks they lease you, but will if you buy a 500 or 1000 gallon tank for house heating purposes. Definitely not something everyone should do.

The local shops are not filling by the pound , and will fill on system of empty to full only. 15.oo no matter what. To fill a 1/2 full tank costs under 2.00 and at 15.00 there is a pretty good margin. But as Harvey states, they provide a service, convenience costs.

If you find a place that will fill by the pound, let them know you appreciate it and promote them. It's beneficial to you as a consumer! Brent

Quote:

That's correct ST, 2.3 gallons in a 20 pounder. I have a tank fill hose on my 500 gal tank. I admit it is convenient, but, many providers will not install a tank fill on tanks they lease you, but will if you buy a 500 or 1000 gallon tank for house heating purposes. Definitely not something everyone should do.

The local shops are not filling by the pound , and will fill on system of empty to full only. 15.oo no matter what. To fill a 1/2 full tank costs under 2.00 and at 15.00 there is a pretty good margin. But as Harvey states, they provide a service, convenience costs.

If you find a place that will fill by the pound, let them know you appreciate it and promote them. It's beneficial to you as a consumer! Brent

Actually that's not correct Propane weighs 4.22 pounds per gallon so at 1.60 per gallon it costs a retailer about 6.40 in product to fill your empty tank. The problem is with a partial fill the labor the retailer has to pay out for is the same. The hook up and fill procedure is the same, just less product. Then that dosent address the liability issues, the insurance that retailers need to carry to protect themselves from some nimrod from doing somthing with the propane that could hurt themselves or others is unreal. I say if you want the peace of mind of topping off your tank prior to a trip then it was money well spent, even at full price

Anywhere that I have had propane filled in the Fargo-Moorhead area has always filled by the pound. The cenex in Dilworth used to be .50 a pound. I usually get mine filled at Silbenagels right off hwy 75 in Moorhead and he is pretty reasonable. I don't know what he charges per pound but when I had a brand new tank he charged me 12.00 for the fill, purge, and the sticker for it and when I get it topped off it is always less than $10.