• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snap/Rip Jigging

Just a few questions about snap jigging. While snap jigging do you guys troll with the outboard or electric motor, and how fast do you go? What type of line do you like best? How about jigs? What jigs do you prefer for snap jigging? Also any other tips you can think of. Thanks.

Jason Erlandson

Electric.

Usually quite slow but fast enough to cover water.

Trilene XL unless deepwater with fast current then it's a braid.

Lindy Rattlin Max Gaps in colors and the deadly "Gold Nugget" for metallics. Longer shank hook style jigs I feel are best.

Hook minnow thru mouth, out gill and imbed thru body good so it'll stay on hook well.

Plastics have their place in this presentation too sometimes.

fiskyknut

I read an article on snap jigging a long time ago in In-Fisherman. It profiled a guide out by Brainerd (?) who was catching a lot of fish with this technique. I believe he was known as "Griz". Anyway, yesterday in Gander Mountain I was looking around in the tackle area and seen a rack of jigs packaged with a picture of this guy "Griz" on them. Sure enough, I flipped over the package and it explained how effective these jigs were for snap jigging because they were made from chicken feathers. grin.gif I believe they gave an address if you wanted to write for the particulars on how this guy does it.

Might be just a marketing gimmic....but then again maybe not. wink.gif

My snap jigging consists of casting a heavier jig with minnow hooked through the mouth out the gill and then through the back. I will use my electric motor as a fairly good clip while I am fancasting a piece of structure. It elimates water very quickly and you can cover various depths.

I have never really tried the traditional snap jigging method of trolling a heavy jig and ripping it.

mw

Forward troll with outboard between 0.6 - 1.5 mph. 1/8 - 1/4 oz. short shank jigs like the Northland Fireball tipped with either a crawler, minnow or plastic and pulled aggressively forward and let it fall back on it's own. Typically the fish are there when you start to bring the jig back forward for another "pull". On Winnie, it's deadly. smirk.gif

We were fishing the river down at red wing by the dam. noone is catching anything. I see a jon boat coming and see a camera crew in the boat when they get close I can see it's the Griz. He motors up close to shore and starts drifting down river. He was snap jigging. He caught 5 fish in 10 min. we proceeded to follow his line and did what he did and WOW did we start hitting the fish. as more people noticed more joined the line. the only ones that were catching the fish were the ones that were snap jigging. I have since done this a number of times on the river with good results.

I mostly snap on lakes in the spring, or on rivers. Usually plastics on the river and shiners on the lakes. You don't feel for the fish or give them any time, you pop the jig hard and all of a sudden you'll have one on (and they all feel like good ones when you hook them this way).

Griz invented the technique forward trolling with his outboard, but I usually do it when drifting and/or using the electric motor. I probably should be doing it more and with my kicker blush.gif

I've "snap jigged" walleyes for over 15 years out here in NY and let me tell you, IT WORKS BIGTIME wink.gif I do things a little differently in regards to lures and I don't use jigs. My snap jigging lure of choice has always been Luhr Jensen Crocodiles and I don't tip them with anything but work em on 8lb Fireline with about a 2 ft section of 8lb floro connected by a good quality solid ring bearing swivel! It's DEADLY on walleye. Cast it out, let it fall to the bottom and rip it forward about 3ft, let it fall, repeat! Most strikes are just a tick as the spoon falls on a slack line and braided line is essential to feeling the pickup and getting a good hookset in heavy crosswinds or with a lot of line out. Works great from shore or boat, lake, river or reservoir, anywhere that has walleyes wink.gif

I had read about and tried snap jiggin on Winnie with some success. One afternoon "The Griz" as others have mentioned, shows up where we were fishing and starts hammering them while snap jigging.

I immediately began imitating what he was doing and we started also hitting them pretty good. The key was he was going much faster since he was forward trolling with his main outboard. I watched his wrist and arm action which was really tiring to immitate but successful.

A few keys are to cast out from the boat, let the jig sink for a few seconds and then begin a horizontal snapping motion of about 3 feet or so with the rod tip. As team otter said, the fish will be there when you go to snap and you just kind of do a double snap to get the hook set. It is a blast when it gets going.

ccarlson