• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-TEC

The Freak

it is a world out there these days where you are looking at difference in motors. Fact of the matter is, ither way you go, you really cant say that any motor on the market today is a bad motor.

Why do i say that?

Becuase for the simple fact that if they do make a bad motor, there not going to be in the market for very long. I have always ran a Opti, but from people that i talk to, everyone has there likes and dislikes of any motor.

Fact of the matter is, get what you think its going to be right for yourself. It really comes down to personal Preference. I belive, any motor that you buy now days, it going to get the job down.

BNS

I have a 150 e-tec ]

sometimes i just go down to dock and start it cuz it starts before you get the key turned all the way it sounds so smoooooth

it jumps you out of the water i have it on 2095 yac craft

and it plans me out RIGHT NOW i never lose sight of whats in front of me i dont know if its faster or slower than the merc but i'm not racin i'm fishing on my boat it runs out bout 44mph

but i can also pull crank baits with it going foward if i want

and can talk over it easy and doesnt take much of a chop to backtroll it is a wheel boat so i dont use it for that but you can and if it was a tiller it would be great on a walleye boat

like bass and spears says they are all good..e-tec is my perference

Yes, Kabetogama. To get this thread back on track, the E-TEC has worked out great for this boat. I also have a 1981 Evinrude 25 on a smaller boat that still runs good. I know they have been through some issues in the intervening years with some products, but at least with the E-TEC in this size I can only give glowing reports. That said, having a dealer or service person nearby that you can trust should play a big part in which brand you choose, just in case of issues.

If you're looking for a 2-stroke, I don't think you could go wrong with the e-tec. My buddy has a 150 on his 1850 Alum. Trophy. Planes out nice, fairly quiet, but still smells like a 2-stroke. They may be comparable to a 4-stroke in gas mileage, but you still burn expensive oil. Given 4-strokes need expensive oil changes. i have a 175 verado w. smart craft gauges and i wouldn't trade it for anything. quieter and doesn't stink.

I Haven,t noticed any stink or smoke on my E-TEC Oil is a quite small expense considering the amount used.Oil changes also use oil, and cost additional money. Has a nice quiet purr when idling or at hull speed (ie 6 mph)and isn't much different from a 4 stroke when opened up.