• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Cold Rush - Saturday, February 17

Where: Rush Lake, Chisago County

When: Saturday, February 17

We can meet at the West Rush public access at 7am.

Rush Lake needs no real introduction as being one of the best Metro Area lakes for both open water and ice fishing. Rush Lake is home to just about every lake-bound species outside of trout. You'll tie into slab crappies, bull bluegills, jumbo perch, monster walleye, brute pike, and even the occasional muskie.

February is an excellent time to ice fish Rush Lake, and expect to see a lot of nice fish caught throughout the day. The crappies and sunfish will be going fast and furious, and the arrival of a few hefty pike is bound to happen. As evening wears on we'll target the elusive walleye and continue to bang up on the crappies!!

So, if you're looking for a nice smorgasbord of species and ample opportunities of catching some nice size fish, then Rush Lake is the place to be!!

We'll meet in the morning sometime and fish for pretty-much the entire day... or at least until we've had enough wink.gif

So, anyone interested in a little fun out on Rush Lake on the 17th?

Matt,

I really enjoyed this lake a year or two ago when we had the Get-Together/Tournament. For some reason I don't think we used the public access so I'm wondering if you can provide some directions and recommendations for bait shops on the way, etc.. (also---I know you and BDR know the lake pretty well so some bait recommendations especially for minnow types for the eyes and crappies would be appreciated)

Sounds like a long day but one that has crappies, gills and a chance at a walleye would definitely fit the bill. Plus I remember that big gator as well!

Irv

The public access is located on the west side of West Rush off of 4.

You can buy bait in Harris I believe. There's a baitshop right on the right-hand side once you take the exit.

As far as bait options go, I would bring some maggots and possibly some crappie minnows or fatheads if you're looking to hook into a few walleye. Shiners or suckers will work on the pike too. We can throw out some tip-ups for the pike smile.gif

I'll put together a little more info next week as far as exact locations and other gear recommendations and post it here...

The beauty about Rush Lake is that there are several different species that are actually willing to bite. Whether you want to target panfish, pike, or walleye, you have a very good shot and each.

During the day I'll probably chase pannies and throw out a couple tip-ups for pike. During the evening I might relocate and target crappies and walleye. It all depends on the day.

Panfish jigs like the Ratso and Shrimpo work great out there, as do Fatboys and Genz Worms. I also like Maynard's Tackle Flutter Bugs, Little-Atom Optic Stealths, and JB Lures Charmers. A lot of choices for panfish jigs.

For walleyes I like spoons tipped with a minnow head, or else a larger Genz Worm. Sometimes the walleyes can be finicky so I'll downsize to my larger panfish tackle. 2 and 3 inch Power Minnows can work well on the walleyes at times too.

It's supposed to be in the mid 20s for temps, so we should have a good day on Saturday...