• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rapala fillet knife problem!

fishinaddict

Had the blade on my fillet knife break last night. Here is the nice little email I sent rapala

This is a complaint. About two years ago my dad bought me my first fillet knife, a rapala. He bought it because he thought they were the best you could get. Over the past two years that knife has cleaned over 200 fish as well as breasted out its fair share of pheasants and geese. All was well until last night. I was in the middle of cleaning about 30 crappies and blugils when THE BLADE OF THE KNIFE BROKE right at the handle. In a situation where you dont have another knife this could be a problem, luckily I had another knife. I wouldt be so dissapointed if it hadnt been my first fillet knife. So here is my question for you, SINCE I AM GOING TO NEED TO GET A NEW FILLET KNIFE, WHAT BRAND SHOULD I GO WITH THIS TIME?

Thanks, Andy Nelson

Well, I gotta say, 200 fish is alot. I'm not sure I've cleaned 200 fish in my life (I'm 33 and was a dockboy for 3 summers). Ok, maybe I have....that's about 10 fish per year.

Anyways, I realize that it's never fun to have your stuff break, but how much is a new knife?

What is a fair amount of time a fillet knife should last when it used extensively?

I agree that it really should never break at the handle, but it sounds like you've got quite a bit if use out of it.

I would recommend an electric knife for your next one. Just my opinion, but they are hard to beat and no sharpening.

Quote:

Well, I gotta say, 200 fish is alot. I'm not sure I've cleaned 200 fish in my life (I'm 33 and was a dockboy for 3 summers). Ok, maybe I have....that's about 10 fish per year.

Anyways, I realize that it's never fun to have your stuff break, but how much is a new knife?

What is a fair amount of time a fillet knife should last when it used extensively?

I agree that it really should never break at the handle, but it sounds like you've got quite a bit if use out of it.

I would recommend an electric knife for your next one. Just my opinion, but they are hard to beat and no sharpening.

I have an electric too and love it.

If you have never cleaned 200 fish, you must not fish for panfish! 200 sunnies is nothing but 200 channel cats, now that would be impressive. cool.gif

My wife got me a rap about twenty years ago, still using it today. Im sure a thousand fish have gone through that knife if not more. They are not the best knife but in my opinion dependable and hold and edge fairly well. I had to buy another one this year because I thought I lost mine on a trip. I left it in my brothers vehicle, so now I have two. One for someone to help out now. laugh.gif Fishinaddict sorry yours broke especially since it was given to you.

For me it seems your reaction as indicated by the letter your wrote is a bit extreme. I have used Rapala knives for most of my life and have not had any problems. Did yours possibly get bent at some time? This could definitely cause a weak spot in the metal.

Bob

I'd be interested to find out what you hear back from Rapala. I have either purchased or been given several Rapala fillet knives over the years, and have never had a problem. In fact, I still use them all on a regular basis.

The impression I have is that Rapala will treat you right.

They may ask you to send in the broken knife so they can determine what caused the break. If it was a manufacturing defect that caused the break, you will most likely be getting a replacement.

Rapala has a good reputation and I would expect a good response.

Quote:

I have had great luck with Rapala Fillet knives. I have had 2 of them for about 10 years now. a 6" and a 4"... If you want the best.. go with a Leech Lake Knife.. but be willing to open the pocket book. they aint cheep.

Love my Rapala's also.

Not a big fan of the Leech Lake fillet knife I think they are dangerous the double sided razer sharp edges can cut you in split second if you are not carefull I would highly suggest a fillet Glove and extreme caution when using one.

They do cut great though..... grin.gif

Suck it up and go buy a new Rapala filet knife. Your last one seemed to serve its purpose. My gilrfriend bought me a new Rapala filet knife for Christmas. It's a beautiful knife with a an ivory handle and a copper salmon head at the end. It's truly a nice looking knife, I know she spent about $90 on it. Now if that knife were to break within the first year or two, maybe I'd consider sending Rapala an email but it wouldn't be as aggresive.

rapala's seem to be a family tradition for most. i can't complain about mine, got it when my grandpa passed away. he used it up north, in florida, and all points in between.

i've heard that the electrics are awesome for cutting right through the ribs of smaller panfish. that could make soem quick work for those late nights cleaning a limit.

by the way, nice job at the thorpe tourney. saw the results on-line cool.gif

ever hit ambrosen?

I've got a couple Rapala knives and neither of them cost more than $20. Sure it sucks that it broke and I would definitely contact Rapala about it, but no reason to get your undies in a bunch.

I went out and got myself a Wusthof this year. Great knife. It took a bit to get used to the longer blade design, but I still like using the old Rapala for panfish.

I also have a 4" and a 6" and I love them. The 6"er was handed down to me from my late grandfather. I also love their sharpeners.

I will also echo some earlier posts and recommend an electric knife. My mister-twister electric has worked great on anything it has touched. It's funny that I have all these knives because I probably keep a couple fish once a month and that's about it. I CPR anything that is worth keeping, what other people do with their fish is up to them provided it is in the law.

To the original poster, don't take this the wrong way, it's constructive criticism, but you catch more flies with molasses instead of vinegar. I had a complaint with Nature Vision this year and they sent me a new combo, no questions asked. I've contacted other companies when I have been dissatisfied and when I've been polite about it, they have responded promptly and with courtesy and have stepped up to replace things.

If you've had it for a number of years, maybe it is time to get a new RAPALA knife. I don't know if they should be responsible for the many things that may have caused the problem-what environment was the knife kept in?

Good luck with Rapala and tell us how things turned out.

Quote:

rapala's seem to be a family tradition for most. i can't complain about mine, got it when my grandpa passed away. he used it up north, in florida, and all points in between.

i've heard that the electrics are awesome for cutting right through the ribs of smaller panfish. that could make soem quick work for those late nights cleaning a limit.

by the way, nice job at the thorpe tourney. saw the results on-line
cool.gif

ever hit ambrosen?

Thanks, I have been to abrosen in the summer and caught a lot of small gills and craps, never hit in in the winter though, any tips.

I have 4 or 5 Rapala knives that I have used for years.

A couple of them have been sharpened so many times that they look more like an icepick. They still work great!

I did have one break at the handle just like yours did, but I just figured it had been abused one time to many!

Cliff

They are a $10 knife. I have had only one for better than 10 years but I will never have another one. I can't stand having to sharpen a knife everytime I want to use it. I prefer electric but the Leech Lake I have has been very good well worth the price.