• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

no autofocus?!?!

My wife recived a nikon af-s nikkor 55-200mm lens for christmas. I put it on yesterday to take some pictures and the auto focus does not work. It works fine with the lens that came with the camera. It did work before, and now when I push the button down half way it does not focus and will not take a picture when depressed the whole way. It will take pictures when I hold down the auto focus lock button, and also when the lens is in manual mode. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Abe

Another possibility is that you are closer to the subject than the minimum focusing distance the lens is capable of. If that distance is three feet and the subject is 2.5 feet away, the lens cannot focus on it. When that happens, some cameras set to certain creative or automatic modes won't allow the shutter to trip if the lens is set to autofocus. This protects the photographer from taking a picture that seems to be in focus through the viewfinder but really is OOF.

In other words, just back away from the subject a little more and try it again.

Also could be a low light situation. Most camera/lens will have a hard time autofocusing in this environment. Depending on the lens/camera/setting you may not be able get the system to even take the picture.

Steve, I ran to my camera to try backing away from the subject, because I was really close when this happened, that had to be problem, but, it wasn't. I tried to take pictures outside, of trees across the yard, same thing. Nothing happened in auto focus, but would take blurry pictures in manual.

Don't think it is a low light thing, I tried taking pictures across my living room into my kithen, which is lit up like a christmas tree, still nothing. Speaking of which, I used this lens to pratice this winter taking shots of our christmas tree, with the only lights being the ones from the tree, worked just fine then.

Could the lens be shot?

I'd say it's time to contact a certified Nikon service center and present the problem to them. You might call National Camera and run it by them and see if they have any advice. Could be the camera itself, which could be on warranty (?). Could be the lens, which should be on warranty. Could be something else entirely.

Could it be the camera even if other lenses work just fine? The lens was bought at Nation Camera, and we bought the camera at Ritz/Proex, I just haven't had a chance to take it in and get it looked at, also, with my limited knowledge, I figured it would be some setting I had messed up. I hope to get it in soon.

Thanks again.