• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TROUT/STREAM SUNGLASSES

HeavyFish

Hey I have a pair of Polarized Ray Ban Sunglasses and I just sent back a pair of ORVIS Polarized perscription sunglasses that looked just awesome but come to find out that they didn't fit at all, I mean they were huge in my standards, and I have a larger head I'd say:)ha. Anyway I was looking for any advice on where to find THE BEST perscription polarized sunglasses or just polarized sunglasses specific to fishing in streams. It seems that all I have found that correlate to what I want are from Orvis. Let me know if there are any other places to look.

Thanks

Heavy

I don't know about prescription sunglasses, but I've heard Smith Action Optics line is supposed to be good for water/stream fishing. For what it's worth.

I don't own a pair yet, but will be purchasing them once my bonus check is delivered! smile.gif

Smith has a color called 'All-Hour Brown' that is supposed to perform well in lower light conditions as well as brighter/mid-day conditions.

Otherwise, I'd like to hear from other folks on what they prefer since I'll be in the market for a pair soon.

You can get perscription Smith Action Optics. Go to a dealer to try on frames and then take your perscription information and order a pair. Or if you can break the frame style down to a couple then call Smith and they will send you frames to try on (for sizing). Once you've decided, send them your perscription information and frame selection and you'll have a pair in a couple of weeks. Save your receipt as you might be able to claim the glasses on your health plan. I have a pair of Smith Action Options with a photochromatic All Hour Brown lensse (they get lighter and darker with the light conditions). I choose to have them made with a single perscription and then use "hat eyes" for closeup work. They work great on the water, protect my eyes from flies and work well except in very low light conditions, for that I bring my spare regular glasses.

Wow guys I have got to say that helps a ton, I am going to look into that right now, if anyone else has any ideas that would be helpfull also. Like you said about the health insurance, I definetly get reimbursed for any Rx sunglasses I buy so that is a plus. THANKS

Just so everyone knows or has some more insight into this question that I have asked, I want to let you all know what I have found through checking out different companies. First off, I definetly like the styles I saw from Action smith sunglasses, however, I didn't stop there, I went to Cabelas HSOforum to see basically what the prices were and also get a feel for what I liked (style/price/Rx option). So I narrowed down three companies first obviously smith action, then Costa Del Mar, and thirdly Maui Jim. Then I went to all there websites and read up on their products. Which all of the sites bragged about how much they are the best. Well as far as "frame"price, Smith action and Costa Del Mar are lower than Maui Jim by a long shot, so I checked some locally listed optical stores and found one in Stewartville that had pretty much all of the above companies. So when I called them I talked to a guy that what do you know Fly fishes and he is from Montana so instantly I was interested in what he had to say. WOW some great information came from him that I had to write a report on and let you all know. So now we know that the price for the action costa del mar is by far less expensive than Maui Jim but still slightly more or equal expensive than the generic oakley, Ray ban products out there but now for quality. So with my health benefit package I was not so concerned with price but quality was KEY for me, and I mean huge key that unlocks every trout that I have missed seeing in the past. So ok, this guy carries all three but proceeded to let me know that Action Smith he particularly doesn't think are as nice as the Costa Del Mar, which no offence that doesn't mean that they don't work, cause obviously they are popular and have a reputation as a nice pair of gogs. Anyway about Costa Del mar, the Dr. said he really liked the Lens, which happens to be made by a very quality, and reputable lens company, plus the Company itself (Costa Del Mar) was started by two fisherman to start so that bodes well I think in my circumstance. So by this time I was sold on getting a pair of Costa's, anyway this guy had a great selection of all kinds of sunglasses that you can put Rx in. So I won't mention the name in fear of advertising but if you want to email me personally to find out, my email is [email protected]. Ok so your probably wondering about Maui Jim, well According to this Dr. he said that yes they are probably the most expensive line out there but they actually have patented how they make their lenses so that for one makes me wonder how much better they are or what the deal is there. He also said he has three pair which I don't think I would need but was suprised to find out, since he fishes quite a bit also. He said bar none these lenses and frames are truly the best out there. That all sounds great to me, I was just so juiced that I actually found some sunglasses that pertained to exactly what I wanted them used for and the look and fit. Especially because the Orvis company definetly didn't come through for me ordering from the catelog. (Scratched/chipped lens/bad fit). Anyway needless to say I bought two pair one with Amber/brown lenses and one with the gray/darker lens for lake fishing. Now don't get confused there is a lot that goes into which lens you like and if I were to try to explain it to you it probably wouldn't come out right, so ask any eye Dr. and they should tell you the differences which there are a great deal of thought that should go into picking your lense ie (type of light conditions/ stream color/ bottom of a stream/ basically your current condition). Of the two pair I bought, one was maui jim and the other was the Costa Del mar. Anyway I highly recommend at least checking out the websites and talking to your eye DR. Definetly try on the frames also, some fit great others aren't as nice. Well I also have to state that I haven't used any of the new sunglasses yet but I will report on them this spring when I break them out. I can't wait. Thanks to all those who replied and I hope you find some great info in this blog.

Heavy. laugh.gif

Great posts, lots of good information. For anyone going the cheap route, I really like the Calcutta Sunglasses. They were a great fit for me, took a beating the last two summers, and are under $20 bucks, so if I lose or misplace them I won't get a knot in the pit of my stomach. I haven't used them on a trout stream so I won't vouch for them there, but they will get a chance this summer!

Good fishing.

This was why I had LASIK. Never have to worry about it again. But on a sidenote; I do know that Oakley does prescription lenses. And they polarized are supposed to be some of the best with there different patents. I personally use I-Gogs, and haven't had any complaints. Granted they aren't prescription, but as a bang for your buck you can't go wrong. Thanks for the info, I know it's been very helpfull to alot of folks.