• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping your portable warmer!!

Jeremy airjer W

With temps so low I decided to "insulate" my portable. I've heard good things about many products but finally decided on trying the all purpose thermal blankets. It was light, thin, and very flexible,

I would need two to cover the roof area of the magnum lodge. I figured $20 was not too bad. If it worked I saved about half of what it would have cost to use the foil laminated bubble wrap. If it didn't I was only out $20 but now had thermal blankets to put in the vehicles for emergencies!

I less than skillfully attached the blankets to the roof of the otter. These blankets already had grommets in the corners and nylon reinforcement sewn along all the sides so a couple of zip ties and some duct tape was all I needed to "temporarily" install them. I was still a little skeptical about these actually working.

Off to the lake we go Sunday morning. The temp on the information center said -12F, and a slight breeze to boot. We set up as quick as we could and fired up the heater. It took a couple of minutes to take the edge off. Within five minutes there was a noticeable difference. You could feel the heat radiating back down to you. Within an hour I was convinced, this stuff really does make a difference!!

If your looking to make your portable just a little more comfortable, you should seriously consider "insulating" it. Whether you decide to use the foil laminated bubble wrap or thermal blankets, you will reap the benefits on those really cold days!!!

did it several years ago and everybody that has fished in my house since has gone home and done it to theirs also. I am considering the foil/bubble stuff but not sure how it would fold up. as you know you cant even tell that the space blanket is there when you fold it up. Money well spent in my opinion, very simple install also. One more thing, you need to be sure and find the heavy duty nylon backed space blanket (cabelas has them) or the blanket can freeze to your house and rip frown.gif dont ask how I know

I have added carpet, this allows the heat that is coming from the floor to stay inside the house. when im spearing, its colder then just out fishing with the water showing and the ice below the feet. with the carpet, its going to allow the heat to stay inside the house, and your feet wont be directly on the ice.

Quote:

I put reflect x inside the tub also, lined it.. Helped some more and acts as a cushion..keeps noise down. Chained the flap, rigged up an old computer fan, which made another big difference.

I put the Reflectix(?) on the roof and back wall of my Otter Lodge and a piece of foil covered styrofoam in the bottom of the sled. Then, like you, I put a a spare 120mm computer fan in there.

I haven't had it out in frigid cold weather yet, but in the typical cold weather I have to turn the Mr. Heater down as low as it can go and then it's still plenty warm for me in just a long sleeve flannel shirt.

The best thing I did to keep my portable warmer was throw away my Little Buddy heater, the darn thing was worthless!

Now have a sunflower type on a 5 lb cylinder. Even with extra ventilation (There is a higher risk of CO so I keep the door flap partially open. Open flap along with the supplied vents and inevitable air leaks is plenty, no headaches or signs of problems) I seldom need to go above the low setting. Added a computer fan with a potentiometer for speed adjustment to move the air (thanks to fellow FM'ers for the idea) and have solved my heating problems. Was out this past Sunday in -15 degrees with 15mph wind and actually stayed warm with a sweatshirt and uninsulated bibs. I think if I insulated the shelter it would get too hot!

I have an Eskimo III My son (10) and his buddy were fishing in it most of the day last Saturday, I was in the perm. With the Mr. Heater cooker set on low, they were in T-shirts and jeans. There was a lot of frost on the inside of the house. But, they were warm.

I do not have any other form of insulation added to the house.

OK, question. How did you all secure the blankets and or Reflectix to the roof of your portable? Do you glue it on? Sow it on? Use magnets?

I want to do this but I don't want it to be something I need to do every time I set up. Its got to be semi-permanent.

Any thoughts?

All I did to fasten mine was run it between the poles and the canvas and on the ends I cut little slots for the velcro straps to go through to fasten to the poles. The poles hold it good and tight when the house is set up and the reflectix folds up nice when the house is down.

Wow, call me old-fashioned, but I bought an insulated Otter double-wide two years ago, warm as he!! It has thinsulate between two Otter 'skins' and it is toasty, even at -25 last year on Mille Lacs! If mine wasn't insulated, I would definitly try some of what you all are trying. Stay warm. grin.gif