• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.243 in northern mn

I'm thinking of buying a rifel that can be used for coyotes, antelope, and up to deer. does anyone use a .243 up in the north woods of mn where the shots are generaly close as in 100 yards or closer and will this bullet deflect easer than a 30 cal bullet. Will this caliber put down a big whitetail with ease when placed in the kill zone..I am thinking of the t/c encore, anyone with this gun have any opinions

That's what I used to hunt deer until I turned 18 and we hunt on the "da Range." Drops deer in their tracks...never had to trail one.

As for the other game you mentioned, I don't know because I've never hunted those... yet! wink.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another .243 for deer. I have shot quite a few deer with mine and all were recovered within a short distance. One other round you might want to look into would be a 25-06. I haven't shot one but the people that have them swear by them and you can get heavier bullets for them than you can for a .243. I used Federal Fusions last year in my 243 and was very impressed with them. Both deer I shot never took another step and the bullets expanded nicely.

Last year my girlfriend got a .243 and I told her that it was to small for deer hunting. Opening morning she shot a 191 lb. 10 point and this year she shot a 184 lb. 8 point. Both deer dropped in their tracks. Needless to say I've changed my mind about the .243.

I started my kids and my wife shooting the .243. None of them flinch from the recoil, and they have taken several Deer with this cliber. It is not a high recoildl gun, so it is very pleasant to shoot. Would recomend it for anything up to Deer. A very good varmit gun also. Has the range you need and very good selection of bullets can be had or reloaded for it. CAJ

i have a TC Pro hunter Muzzleloader and I have a 30-06 Ruger I bought a 243 barrel for my Pro Hunter. I was looking at the 223 243 and the 25-06. I really was interested in the 25-06 and if I didn't have a 30-06 I would have gotten a 25-06. But My theory for the 243 barrel is if I want to get into yote hunting I can use the 243 barrel. If I want to use it for deer hunting it's legal round. If I want to go for Antelope hunting I can do it. I've looked at the barrel and I looked at what I could possible be hunting and what I already hvae in the gun cabinet because I'm trying to save money by buying the right barrel for my gun. Look at what you already have and think about what you want to hunt with that round. And I figured the 243 would give me more options.

I like my .243 too! Been using it for over 20 years. I have never shot a deer that ran for more then 50 yards! Most drop dead!

I've shot coyotes out to 250 yards with little damage too. But its not a close range coyote gun unless you reload.

I like to low recoil which is why I bought it.

I was going to do the same thing with the Encore.

I have changed my mind and am going with the NEF Handi-Rifle in .243 ($250) and add a muzzleloader barrel for just another $113!

Maybe get the .204 barrel also for $98. All three would still be less than one T/C.

Check out www bellmtcs com about the T/C if you haven't already.

Quote:

How do these guns on the bench versus the TC? That seems like an awfully cheap price for a comparable gun!

I don't know first hand about comparing accuracy between the two, but out to 100 yards it will be accurate enough.

I have heard from a few about getting sub-moa with the NEF.

Would like to hear more...