• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Too cold???? Come on, we'er Minnesotan's!!!!

BobT

It’s sad how soft we’ve become. Yesterday’s evening news was dominated by predicted school closings and delays due to cold weather and concerns about getting the buses started. Man, put some #1 diesel in and run them!

Since when do we in Minnesota stop living just because it might get down to -20 degrees F? That’s like picnic weather. In a normal Minnesota winter we would just now be coming off the end of a month of weather like this. I remember January '85 when I was logging a little north of Mountain Iron. It started out as a rather nice winter up until New Year’s day. On the evening of December 31st it dropped to -20 degrees and that was the last time we saw above zero until just a couple days before my birthday on Feb. 7. I’ll never forget the day the forecast called for a high of 5 degrees and the weather announcer made it a point that it was a positive 5 degrees and not negative. And consider the winter of '95-’96 when even here in Osakis I saw our thermometer reach -30 degrees or lower for about 10 days straight. Remember? That was the year Minnesota’s current all-time recorded low was hit in Tower at -60 degrees, beating out both Embarrass and I-Falls for the cold spot honors.

I’ll never forget the time I went out to start my old ’67 Ford truck. There was room under the hood to fit two batteries (remember those days?) so I rigged it up to keep my deep cycle charged for summer fishing. It also gave my starting battery an extra boost in winter since I didn’t have an engine heater installed on that old 240cu.in. flat-6. One particular morning I remember thinking that it seemed a bit extra cold but no big deal. I just pulled the choke, pumped the throttle to empty the carburator bowl into the intake, and started the truck. After about 60 seconds of running I noticed the oil pressure wasn’t coming up so I shut the truck off and waited a few minutes. I did this three times and finally the oil pump started moving the oil. Anyway, after warming the truck up and killing the engine a few times trying to let the clutch out in neutral, I was finally on my way to work in the logging business. About the time I crested the top of the Laurentian Divide north of Buhl my truck interior temperature took a nose dive. I had the radio on and the D-J announced the temperature in Hibbing that morning was -48 degrees. That was the only day I can ever remember being told not to work because it was too cold and too dangerous. My boss was concerned that I could freeze my lungs if I began to breath heavy. By the way, the wind chill that morning was -94 degrees.

Another one is snow. I can’t believe how quickly these days we close or delay schools just because it snows a little. Good grief. I remember walking to the school bus stop through snow that was thigh deep with wind chills bottoming less than -60 degrees (yes both ways). We had to walk backwards so we wouldn’t have to face the wind. Plows always opened the bus routes first and schools weren’t delayed. Today, the weather forecasters predict a 4” snowfall with a little wind and the school closings begin the night before. What a bunch of wimps we’ve become.

We’re Minnesotan’s aren’t we? As Minnesotan’s don’t we have a reputation to protect for being cold weather beach-comers? This is ice fishing weather! Come on guys, let’s put some longies on and enjoy the cool weather! In a couple months we’ll have to put up with sunburn, mosquitoes, gnats, and keeping the beer cold.

Bob

Yeah, I agree- what a bunch of WHIMPS!! I really get a kick out of watching the Weather Channel. They show New York or Boston getting down to like 35 degrees ABOVE zero and people are walking around all bundled up in scarves and choppers and hoods pulled over their heads and faces tight! That would be a tropical heat wave here and I would probably be driving around town with my arm hanging out the window of my truck!

When I was growing up, they didn't cancel school unless there was a blizzard and 2 feet of snow at least. It might have been cancelled if the temp got down to -40 below, but I don't remember it happening much. I agree, on a normal year, we would be having this kind of weather for a month...so a week to 10 days is not that bad.

Jsutin

It is all part of the "Wussification Project of Minnesota". The bigger the wusses they can make of people the greater the demand for government services, the more they can build they up government in your life. Then tax the bejesus out of you. I got pulled over once for driving with my window down at -10. It finally came out that the cop thought the car had been stolen by breaking out the window hence no window /window down. Said "no the window works, just a fat guy who likes fresh air". Looking back I was arrested for driving while fat. The man be out after us fat guys. I feel my brothers pain. Actually thanked him for pulling me over it was my car in long run he was looking out for.

It is not all that bad out. There is little wind out there and I actually did some outside work yesterday. I had to sit outside to cool off as I went inside and it was too warm and uncomfortable. And I am not even from Minnesota, but I love the cold weather.

I think its awesome!! We went from fishing in a village of portables two weeks ago to having the place to ourself this weekend. Plus the ice is 3" thicker. I guess there are a lot of fair weather ice fisherman too!

After spending 3 years in the relative balmy confines of SW Michigan, I moved back to MN in '05. Last night I finally felt like a true Minnesotan again. I was out on the deck grilling some Ribeyes clad in slippers, PJ bottoms and a hoodie while I actually thought to myself, "It's pretty nice out!" As I walked in I saw the thermometer read -6. Boy, it's good to be back!

Quote:

There is more to NY then NYC. Look up at the ST Lawrence river by Canada. We've had a high of 10F above in two weeks. The past two days has been -5 with out wind chill. Lots of ice here to fish on and lots of fish to catch to.

Yeah Outstate NY always seems to get hammered with snow, Buffalo in particular. Lake effect snow, and lots of it. I lived in Kansas City MO for a few years before moving back here to my southern MN hoemtown. KC has some nasty weather. In the spring and summer lookout for tornadoes, and in the winter, it is on the freezing rain cusp, I would much rather drive on snow than glare ice. Temp wise though, KC doesn't get too bad. If it gets to 20 or even 30 out, everyone complains. I just smile and tell them that it's nice outside.

Quote:

There is more to NY then NYC. Look up at the ST Lawrence river by Canada. We've had a high of 10F above in two weeks. The past two days has been -5 with out wind chill. Lots of ice here to fish on and lots of fish to catch to.

I have to say that I thought that New York (state) would be nothing but concrete and criminals when I first went there for my job back in '96. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at just how beautiful your state (and the whole New England area) is smile.gif It was so nice that my wife and I took our honeymoon by driving all the way to Maine and back. In one week. We came in through Canada (to Niagara Falls) and departed through New Jersey. Not nearly enough time to soak it all in but a great time none-the-less.

60 above zero:

Floridians turn on the heat.

People in Minnesota plant gardens.

50 above zero:

Californians shiver uncontrollably.

People in Duluth sunbathe.

40 above zero:

Italian & English cars won't start.

People in Minnesota drive with the windows down.

32 above zero:

Distilled water freezes.

The water in Bemidji gets thicker.

20 above zero:

Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.

People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero:

New York landlords finally turn up the heat.

People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.

Zero:

People in Miami all die.

Minnesotans close the windows .

10 below zero:

Califorians fly away to Mexico.

People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.

25 below zero:

Hollywood disintegrates.

The Girl Scouts of Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero:

Washington DC runs out of hot air.

People in Minnesota let the dogs sleep indoors.

100 below zero:

Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.

Minnesotans get upset because they can't start the Mini-Van.

460 below zero:

ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale)

People in Minnesota start saying... "Cold 'nuff fer ya?"

500 below zero:

Hell freezes over.

Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late grin.gif