• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Trailer How long?

DRH1175

I am looking at buying a trailer for my ATV and fishtrap. I am looking at the Newmans and the Bear tracks aluminum which are both built here in MN. They both are great trailers. The question is what the heck size to buy. 6' x 10" seems like it would be addequete. But would it be better to buy like a 14' to give me more options? How small can I get by with if I want to put 2 wheelers on? This Would be nice for the future if I purchased a second or for a friends on a fishing trip? Also would it be wise to purchase the Heavy duty models or the regular. Seems they like to use Tandem axles on the longer. Is this needed and a pain to use when hooking to the atv to carry equipment out to the fishing spot? Help me figure out which model to buy? Thanks

I use snowmobile trailers. One is 8x10 and the other is 8.5x16 V front. I like the bigger one better. The two axles ride and handle much better. It is harder to move around by hand, but that is what I have my atv for. I can fit four on there easily, and you fit more accessories like a plow or something.

On the other hand, for ice fishing I would probably like the smaller one better.

Most atv's take up a 4x6.5 ft. area. Use that to see what you want for size. If you plan on hauling more than one atv, get the bigger one. It's nice to keep the truck bed empty for gear.

When i was looking i too was about to buy a newmans trailer. I thought the tire's were too small and the atv side loader was wasting too much aluminum. I would recommend looking at the aluma brand trailer. bigger tires and was just a better trailer i thought. check em out.

I would agree, get the bigger one. I have a 8 x 12 snowmobile v-front drive on/off. I can get three atv's on there 2 facing forward one sideways, or two atv's/two portable houses.

Also look at the max load capacity of trailer.

One thing to think about is no matter how big of a trailer you get you'll have a time when you need a bigger one. If you need to haul just one wheeler I like my alumna, but I also have a 2 place snowmobile trailer from newmans and probably use that more than the single. They both make great trailers. If you go up to the Royalton area where the newmans are made you can usually get a heck of a deal.

This is the trailer I bought and added a permanent fold down rear ramp. It trailers very nicely with either 2 wheelers or a wheeler and

Newman's (1U412AR-1I) 4’ x 14’ 2-Place In-Line ATV Trailer

• Useable bed dimension: 51” wide x 14’ long

• Maintenance-free all aluminum construction

• Removable front and rear racks convert to rear

loading ramp

• Sealed insert lighting with molded harness

• 2200# Dexter torsion axle with EZ Lube hubs

• 2-inch ball coupler with coated safety cables and

S-hook safety latches

• Standard B78 x 13” tires

trailerramp.jpg

trailer.jpg

The manufacturer does not recommend putting all of the weight at the back of the trailer, well balanced is good. It hauls 2 machines perfectly. When I was at the manufacturing plant they said how I have it setup (atv then house) is optimal condition .

I have no idea of the tongue weight.

I would go 16' if I did it again, the wheelers are getting bigger and mine at 14' (Aluma 6314) is just long enough for two sportsmans. If one was an Polaris X2 it would be too short. A 6316 Aluma with tandem axles is my next trailer, just checked price a month ago and was $2600. About $600-700 more than the 6314.

I have to second the Aluma. I just got back from a trip to New York yesterday. The trailer pulled like a dream. I only bought a 5x10 because that is all I needed.

phone001kf9.jpg

She not this clean today but will get cleaned up for the next trip on Thursday.

I went the opposite...I downsized...I went from a 6x12 to a 4'2"x8...I wanted a trailer that would haul my wheeler to the lake, then hook up to the wheeler and haul my stuff onto the lake...the smaller one is perfect

I suppose someday I'll regret getting rid of my bigger one (that me and my kids built from an old popup) but that day, I'll find another popup and build another.

I have had no issues with the open floor, I think it might even cut back a little on the wind drag. The trailer is narrow enough where all the road slop doesn't cover the wheeler like my snowmobile trailer, the wheel covers(fenders) get a little spray on them but nothing excessive. The trailer pulls down the road very smooth and you can actually see around it which is a bonus. No more ramp to pull out to load. When I come in from fishing or just out riding drive the trailer straight up, attach the tie downs and back on the road in about 5 minutes. I would recommend the trailer to most people with 2 wheelers or fisherman that values their back from lifting fishhouses. ( I have a modded Otter Lodge)