• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2007 Muskie/Pike Photo Board

Random guy

Quote:

The Red-Throated loons seem to be much more curious and if there is one near the boat, it will follow you around and chase lures as if it is just having some fun. I have not had the common loon do this. Are the ones you folks are seeing look like this?

The birds that have been harassing me on Mille Lacs are the Common Loon, in winter plumage. MN isn't really in the normal range of the red-throated loon and, from what I understand, it's a rare sight to see one here. I've heard of them being spotted in Duluth Harbor, but even then it's rare.

This weekend I actually ended up leaving an area because two loons wouldn't leave my lures alone. I'm surprised I haven't hooked one yet. I blame the loons for my poor muskie luck. cool.gif

Common Loon (winter plumage)

CommonLoon12.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I have never had a common loon in the usual black and white plumage chase lures, but these will follow the boat around, surface right next to it and just sit there. Four or five years ago we asked the DL DNR office and were told they were red-throats. What you are saying does make sense since red-throated loons are smaller and the ones we see each summer are similar in size to a common loon. Certainly not very common. Might see one or two on the lake in a summer/fall, but they like jakes and cowgirls!

Glad to hear we weren't the only ones experiencing this phenomenon! They are immature loons, and this is th eonly year it's happened to us, but a couple of them are nuts. They'd make great outfielders in baseball! They watch you wind up to cast, take a look where the lure is headed, and take off after it in anticipation. They've actually bumped us a few times, or grabbed the tail on a bull dawg.

That was me on Forrest Lake, yes, yes it was! And I didn't appreciate that Lindy Rig thing back in the day....it hurt like he11! All I wanted was a little snack, but "NOoooo!" You had to go and trick me!

I'm glad I pushed you off your spot! I've been hanging around there, waiting for you to come back...one of my relatives came in for a visit and I wanted to introduce you to him...His nickname is "Loon-A-Tick!"

Loon-A-Ticks dad was a 56 pound Loon from up nort and his mom was a 43 pound woodtick from Canada. He'll show you what Lindy riggin is all about, thats for sure!

Anyways, I've been looking for you since that fatefull day, I wanted to let you know that you didn't finish me, I'm still here and I can swim faster then ever and I look even more sinister under the water....have a good winter, I'll see you again next summer, you know where! Grrrrrrr. grin.gif

Sir Grebe or Loon - a - tick we must have missed each other yesterday on Forest, funny thing is I was looking for you to. I bet I missed ya cause I was up fishing purty shallow, worked out ok though as I came on contact with 3 fish one of which did a number to my bulldawg.

RU

Sounds like you had a good time. Next season, I don't think I'm going to put my boat away so early? I don't think I'll take it this deep, but a little longer then the 3rd week in Oct.

Might be a good excuse for me to buy one of those nice cold weather, two piece fishing outfits I was looking at out at Gander yesterday, when I applied for my Turkey permit.

Get me a bright red one and smile at everybody that comes by..."Hey, what up?" Cold enough for ya?" grin.gif

I have a deep and wide 14 footer that will sit in my 3rd stall all winter and get out on the River for some walleyes whenever the weather cooperates. More often then not I want a bigger boat but being able to have mine around all winter sure is nice. Truth be told if I ever get the good graces to buy a bigger boat I'll still keep the small one around.

RU

RU - no to Lobster question. Gotta thank RK for telling us to throw topwater until ice up. That one took 3 or 4 swipes before getting hooked. Unbelievable for Oct.