• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The perfect BWCA boat

Fishing Junky

There are a couple of boats that would be great for BWCA motor trips. If a person could get a Lund Rebel 16 (from when they still made them) and put a 25hp 4-stroke Yamaha on it I think that would be ideal. A new Lund 1625 Classic Tiller would be just about the same. An Alumacraft Lunker 165 Tiller would be practically the same just a different brand.

A Lund WC 16 DLX would be pretty nice too. It doesn't have pedestal seats but it still has a live well and storage. It is lighter than the other boats mentioned so you might be able to get more mph or better fuel efficiency out of that boat with the same motor.

For a fish-finder/GPS combo I would stick a Lowrance LCX-17 on it and put either a Navionics or LakeMaster chip in it. I know LakeMaster has Trout and Basswood on it but I don't think it has contours for Sag. I don't know if Navionics has Sag.

I wouldn't add too much more to try to keep the weight down for fuel efficiency. I would definitely be going over Prairie or to Trout Lake because I don't think any of the boats I mentioned would be easily portaged along Fall-Newton-Piepstone. Maybe with a couple people.

I know it doesn't have all the amenities that the new age walleye anglers seem to want (need?), but my old wc16 lund with 25 yammy is perfect for me. I do have a locator on it, and a couple swivel seats bolted to the bench seats, but other than that, it's pretty much open and empty. LOTS of room for gear for camping on the islands, space between the benches for dogs to stay put/get shade/stay cool. easy to clean, light to pull up on shore...I wouldn't want much more...

Uh, no that wouldnt be legal... :grin:

Depends on where in the BW you are going. I go in some areas where you can still use portge wheels, so I have an Alumacraft t-14s (lightweight comfortable for 3 people) and a Honda 15 hp outboard. the only drawback is the weight of the 4 stroke. Otherwise its a great unit for making the portages.

On BWCA lakes with direct access, I take my main boat which is pretty much excatly what Caseymcq described. A 16 ft Lund with a 25 HP yamaha. Its a great rig that meets all my needs...

On the smaller boat, I usually bring in a small electric trolling motor, and have a basic graph that is set up for portable operation.

My last trip to the BWCA ,,I ran across a boat on the lake that had 2 20hp mercs on it ,,would this be legal since neither is a motor over 25 hp???

Randoid

They can only use one motor at a time. No more than 25 hp can be "employed" at any given time.