• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Return of the waxwings (pics included)

Steve Foss

Well, I didn't expect to see them back after they stripped our buckthorn last weekend, but the Bohemian waxwings bombed in, about 100 strong, in the middle of the afternoon while Mrs. Catfish and I were sweating over a complete Steve Foss Images Web site redesign. Thank God that's done and mounted. About 55 hours of work! Darn glad I married my Web designer. grin.gif

I love these Bohemian waxwings. No other passerine species even comes close for me.

All with the new backup body, the 8 Mp Canon DRebel XT, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, handheld, iso200

1/200 at f10

waxwings-lined-up.jpg

1/500 at f8

waxwings-on-branch.jpg

1/500 at f8

waxwing-on-branch.jpg

And a bonus. He obviously survived the -30 night. He swung in about 3:30, which is his regular time. We call it cardinal:30 now. grin.gif

1/320 at f8

cardinal-left.jpg

Steve..Beautiful shots of some magnificent birds!...those waxwings sure get my vote also!...I've noticed the "down" seems to be "extrafine" on the waxwing species chests....unlike other birds...sure would be nice to see a few in Hibbing...I've seen the "cedar" variety through the years but don't think I've come across the Bohemians ....again ....beautiful captures!............at my feeders...chicakdees....chickadees..and more chicadees.with a nuthatch thrown in for good measure grin.gifjonny

Just keep your eyes open, Jonny. Waxwings don't eat seed. In winter, they key completely on berries/fruit, so it's a good idea to find a grove of crabapples or mountain ash and drive by them with your camera every day. Bohemians travel very far and very wide for those fruits and berries. A great option for crabapples and mtn ash is cemeteries, where people like crabs because of their pretty blossoms. Waxwings eat those blossoms in spring. And the mtn ash have pretty red berries all winter, until something eats them. Boulevard plantings are another good option for both types of trees. I'd bet you've got a bunch of each in Hibbing. grin.gif

Other good thing is, waxwings are pretty tolerant of humans, and crabapples and mtn ash on boulevards and in cemeteries are right next to roads where the birds expect and are acclimated to traffic. Best bet if you find them is to pull your vehicle over in range of your telephoto, open the window, turn off the motor, let the heat from the vehicle dissipate so those heat waves don't distort your images, and shoot away.

The Bohemian waxwing shot on my Web site was gotten in just that way. Man, I remember how cold my fingers were when that shoot was over. blush.gif

I love waxwings! We have a couple of mountain ash trees, but the waxwings never seem to find them. I keep an eye on them and hope every once in a while that I can get a big flock to come by and humor me. I'll have to keep wishing.