• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster 4 stroke

Dock Boy

I got a 4 stroke this year and love it. It starts way easier than all my buddies 2 strokers, has no smoke, and doesn't need oil in the gas.

I don't have the plastic auger bit on it though. I've heard that people have had problems with the fins on those bits breaking. I have the 8" lazer metal bit on mine...

Hey guys, my brother got the 4-stroke in December of 2005. We use it all the time and still have not had a problem with it. I haven't heard of anyone breaking the plastic fins off though?? Thats just crazy if people are breaking those off, you would have to be careless and extremely reckless with it for those to break off. Like I said it works great and haven't had a problem with it yet. I would also recommend (if you dont like handling gas or want something that gives off zero fumes) the StrikeMaster Electra Lazer 12 Volt Dual Power Ice Auger. Hope this helps!

I have the strike lite and have been using it for 2 years. It is great, but realize, you are using a plastic fluted auger and it will not zip thru the ice like a 2 stroke. You cant just throw it in your pickup or portable with a 20lb propane at -20 and expect it to hold up. That being said, I wouldn't trade it for the lazer mag or eskimo I previously used! You can't beat the quiet operation, no smoke, and no mixed gas!

FLAKER

I too have the four stroke powerhead. I run the two blade 8" lazer on it. Wasn't even going to consider plastic. Love the setup. No mixing gas, durable, easy starts, quiet running and no smoke.

It's a little irritating to make sure you don't lay it down the wrong way so oil can seep into the carb and air filter, though.

I've been running the Strike-Lite all winter and it's been a great auger. I would say it cuts a hole just as fast as my 2hp LazerMag 8. Biggest thing I like better about the Strike-Lite is the weight factor and how much easier it is to carry it around would firing off a stack of holes. Also once you punch through the ice the auger doesn't pull you down as much. A great auger in my opinion...

I've also been messing around with a 7-inch bit on the 4-stroke powerhead... so far has been working very well...

Skyndalive, why did you switch to the Lazer 8" blade? I was thinking of doing this also because it seems like the plastic auger has ice accumalate on it more than the old Strikemaster auger blades/shafts. It seems like I am able to only drill about 3 holes before you need to clean off all the frozen ice on the plastic auger and I don't think I ever had to do this with the metal Strikemaster auger blades.

Pegleg,

I was excited about the 4 stroke when it first came out, but was disappointed that they only matched it up with a plastic auger, so I didn't buy one. Then when people started to return their augers because they were breaking the plastic flights, I was able to buy a barely used 4 stroke power head very reasonable. Then I put a two blade 8" lazer auger on it. The best of both worlds in my opinion......Gregg

Skyndalive, thanks for the input. That is what I am going to do for next year. I like the 4 stroke powerhead a lot but I feel the Lazer auger is better. You don't accumalate as much ice on the steel auger as you do the plastic (especially with the plastic guard at the bottom). It seems like I have to stop cutting after about every 3 holes to clean the blades with the plastic Strikelite Auger. Never had to do that with the Lazer.

I bought a four stroke last year and I love it. Light and very easy on gas. I have not had any problems with it icing up, and am able to drill many holes without cleaning it off. As a matter of fact I have never had to clean the ice off so that I could drill more holes. The plastic auger doesn't worry me at all either. It seems to be very durable. Overall I am very pleased with it and I look forward to many years of trouble free service.

Mine worked great last year and this year up until about January 15th when the cold weather started. Seems like it works great above 0 degrees and then below that temp it will ice up after about 2 or 3 holes. It will sit in the hole and spin until you pull it out and clean the ice off. No matter how much pressure you apply to it won't help until you clean the ice off.

You will not be disappointed with the four stroke. The plastic auger is no concern as far as breaking goes. Strikemaster tested it as did other ice pros that are endorsing it and it was nearly impossible to break. It did break, but it took some serious abuse. If a steel auger had been used the same way, it would have been unusable as well. If you drill a lot of holes when fishing, the weight alone should convince you.

You said that you have the metal Lazer drilling head on your Strike Lite 4 stroke. Just wondering if you had to purchase that from Strikemaster or where? As I just purchased the new auger and I'm very dissapointed in how the plastic drilling head cuts.