• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I was wondering if anyone can give me and my group any advice in regards to fishing Chequamegon. My brothers and I are heading out next weekend and we're not sure where to go or what to use. We are interested in getting after lakers, trout, salmon, splake, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Lots of info in the thread down from here..

The bay itself will probably start to slow down a bit.. So I would say your best bet would be to fish north of Washburn.. Fish the Houghton Point to Onion river areas... Concentrait on the first break and even shallower and a bit deeper.. Somedays you have to move around, just like the fish.. Depths to key in on are 10 FOW out over 50 FOW...

Baits.. use Sweedish pimples, kastmasters... ZITS... or any other jigging spoon you might like.. Also, use some tip-ups as well.. Lake Shiners rule for the trouts and salmon...

I checked out the thread below and found some good info, but I wanted to start a thread I could send to my buddies so they could know what to expect before they came up. Some of these guys aren't really into computers... grin.gif

Anyways, last year, we tried off of Ferry landing and off of Bodins and had no luck. We tried some of the things suggested, but it didn't really click. I know that's how fishing goes sometimes, but I also know we can do better. One of our problems is that we are limited in mobility. We have one four wheeler in between all of us, so we pretty much have to pick a spot and go. Any suggestions?

Jim-

Thank you for all your information on this board. You do a wonderful job with your posting and information. I am definitely heading over there once the weather warms up a bit. I have one questions for you though; is there a good map of the bay available anywhere? How about the Navionics map? Is that good for the bay to at least get a starting point?

SCI

The areas you were fishing, do hold fish and are good spots to catch fish.. Like you said, fishing is fishing.. smile.gif With limited mobility, you will have to choose from spots as such.. Also, just west of Bodin's... The area along the shoreline over to the point towards Pike's Bay holds good numbers of fish... If your looking for lakers.. Go deeper then 80FOW in these areas.. Same with fishing off the Ice Road area... Mobility is key out here at times though... Especially when on a tough bite...

For maps... A nautical chart is your best bet for in and among the islands... Craig at Outdoor Allure has some fold up maps of the Islands, but the detail is not there like nautical charts. Also, the Hot Spots map does do a good job, but stops at Basswood Island..

For mapping chips in GPS units... Navionics has you covered. Either in the Premium Chip or the Nautical Chip of the Great Lakes.

Jim, there may be a chance that I could convince my uncle to come up with his sleds. If this is the case, how would this change our game plan? What would be the best way to move around and search for fish? Are we always looking for breaks? Can we find them shallow or are they mostly in deep water? Suspended or right on the bottom? What line are you using to reach the fish when they go deep?

I'm trying to come up with a game plan for our little trip. I guess, since I'm the oldest, I've been nominated the defacto-leader of my group of rabble (brothers).

Again, Thanks.

Cant reveal all my secrets... but.. wink.gif

With mobility and into the islands... Tons of spots to fish.. In reality.. Fish, ie lakers, can be found almost anywhere right now.. But 80 FOW or deeper is your best bet.. If you have ever chased inland lake trout.. You can apply the same basic concepts, but on a much larger level. When talking flats, steep shorelines, etc.. It is just magnified out here... And 90 percent of the time, fish are on the bottom. At times, they will be suspended following bait fish.. All the islands hold fish and certain spots hold more fish then others... And finding these spots are half the fun of fishing lakers...

For moving.. If I am not seeing any trout like marks on my electronics in a half hour or so.. I am outta there... Sometimes I move 50 yards.. sometimes I move 5 miles, depending on the area I might be fishing...

I use 50lb power pro spooled onto baitcasting set-ups on custom rods...

What do you look for when ice fishing for smallmouths for structure or depths? I may give things a try this winter, but it would be a whole new adventure for me on a bunch of different levels.