• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Commuter bike choices?

Looking for some suggestions on commuter bikes. I am impressed with the Specialized Tricross and it's road/path capabilities, and the multiple hand locations it offers. The price is definitely worth it, but at $1100 it's really a stretch for my budget. I ride 12-20 miles a day during the summer including 90% road/10% offroad to work. Any bike ideas/experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Nice to see a fellow Saint Cloud commuter on here. That's a long distance to ride to work! I ride a fixed gear, but for your application I would go with a road bike with some more aggressive tires. I have Terrainasaurus tires on my old Bridgestone and I love 'em.

Personally, I would go to Rod's Bike Shop (on the East end of town across from Target on Lincoln Avenue near the 23/10 intersection) AND check out Fitzharris Ski and Sport (located downtown just off Division next to Liberty Bank). These are two of the best bike shops in the area and I would trust their advice more than anyone else's.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Moose Drool now that is some dang fine beer!!! There are some of us on this forum that would go a long ways for one of those! I find that my Kawasaki Vulcan 800 is working great for a comuter bike. Since I live 56 miles from work pedaling that would be out of the question. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I've stopped at Rod's a few times but nobody was home and no store hours were posted (from what I could see). Stopped by the other day after nine and still wasn't open. I've made an attempt at Fitz's but they don't open til 10 I think. I'll have to wait for my next weekday off I guess.

moosedrool,

A crossbike would definately be the way to go given your road conditions. Unfortunately, to go new you'll probably have to spend around a grand for entry level bikes. You could always check hsolist as a possibility if your willing to go used.

Andy

Try out a Trek 6500 FX. Its a "sport hybrid" bike. It comes with Bontrager handlebars, saddle and post, wheels, tires, and pedals. It also has hydraulic disc brakes, VERY NICE! Mine is fitted with road tires but the aluminum frame can accomodate wider tires/rims if you want to. It is about $700. I really like mine, works as a commuter and as a road trip bike. I can ride it all day for 50 miles without much discomfort, but I can't keep up with drop handlebar road bikes.

I ride a Specialized Globe. 5 days a week. 15 miles a day (that's before my kid gets ahold of me and begs to go for an "adventure bike ride").

I kept it cheap. Maybe 400.00 or so, and I can tell you; my components don't stand up to what I ask out of them. I think they are Shimano Altus. They gum up, and need almost daily service.

You get what you pay for, and I've got buyers remorse for being so frugal.

Your results may vary.

I have the tricross comp and am very pleased with it...has 105/ultegra drivetrain with the relaxed geometry of a crossbike...plus the brake clearance to run the wider tires which you will need if you have to ride in much gravel.

I bought a leftover 2006 model for $1200.