• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training with whistle

nater

I was reading a book about training my new lab and it talks about getting him used to responding with a whistle. I looked around today and found a standard whistle and a silent whistle made by remington. Since I have never trained a dog before, what would be better? I would guess the silent whistle because it can be adjusted to a pitch they can hear, but I wanted to see what everyone thought first. Any help would be appreciated.

Most people use a standard whistlem, but there are a lot of variations on the market. Cabela's has a bunch of them, including a small Gonia clear police whistle I like. Once your dog is accustomed to a whistle he'll respond to either kind-silent or loud. Main thing is to get started early. It'll be no big deal.

i think the big reason for using a whistle was so the dog could hear you. i had train my lab by whistling with my lips, which worked great til you had a windy day, or you just couldn't make much more than a squeek! i don't know of any one that has tried a silent one !

Two questions while the topic is on the table.

1) does the pitch of a silent whistle hurt a dogs ears?

2) can a rooster hear a whistle?

I was at cabelas the other day and the staff did not know the answer to either. So, at this point I will stick with my trusty lucky whistle.

I started early and have felt the whistle training has been pretty easy as long as they have the basic voice commands down. It's fun to watch also.

Thx, LovenLifeGuy

One thing to keep in mind if you hunt alot with other dogs that are whistle trained is they will all be keyed in on the whistle. I don't know what a good solution is. Different tones maybe!

Its kinda frustrating when another hunter blows the sit command for his dog and your dog sits too and etc!

Maybe others have a good solution for this!

That make sense that if they associate that pitch with certain things they will understand. I would like to train him on a whistle so I know he will hear the command in the field. I don't want to yell all the time! grin.gif Hopefully by the time I get him in the field he will be a good listener.

So if the roosters did hear this whistle, do you just not go with it unless its a windy day when he can't hear you or what? I never thought about them hearing it...

Don't worry about the birds hearing your whistle-they hear you the minute you step into the field!! Most so-called silent whistles can actually be heard by some people. And always keep in mind that a dogs olfactory and auditory systems are estimated to be 1000 times more sensitive than yours.

Train your dog carefully; its way easier to do than some people would have you believe. And you COULD train your dog to respond to a clarinet if you wanted to. Or a bass drum. But either one would get in the way when your walking a field.