• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

heaters

chris35

I just have a question regarding heaters in wheeled or permenant shacks. I just bought a king crow fish house and was looking at heaters but dont really know what way to go. i have looked at vented and non vented, i see people with both but just wondering about the safety differences, i have always herd that the non vented are pretty dangerous, have they gotten better? what are most of you guys running through your fish houses, thanks

If you have the money, go with a vented unit...Most will agree this is the way to go. As for non vented units...The heaters now days, (big buddy, blue flame type heaters, etc) are plenty safe to use indoors. They are rated for indoor use and work great. Guys that are used to the old style non-vented type heaters, say never to use one, you'll die!! I agree, if you use one of those old ones, your asking for trouble. But with the advances made now, either would work fine. Either way a good safety measure would be to have a Carbon Monoxide Detector and smoke alarm in your house if your using it as a sleeper.

The biggest downside with a Non-Vented unit is the condensation that forms inside your house. If it's really cold outside, the roof will drip and your windows will get all frosty.

What am I using:

Right now I have a Big Buddy Heater I use in my 6.5x14 sleeper. I bought it because of the multi-use factor. I can use it in my sleeper one day and the next heat my Clam 5600 with it! I will eventually will buy a vented unit, but with money being tight at the time, I didn't have $700+ bucks to spend on both, so this was the way to go. My Big Buddy Heater works fine, even when it's -20 below zero.

There's my 2-Cents...

thanks for your thoughts, i think i am just going to go with a non vented, all the new ones i have read about seem to be just as safe, i should just spend the extra money, but there aint alot there after the fish house purchase, ahaha. anyone else have any thoughts?

I rented a fish house on red last wknd and it had a non-vented. The ceiling was wet and dripped all day and night. Same thing with my box deer stand and my Buddy heater-wet and fogged up the windows. I would not by a non-vented. It will also rot the wood on the ceiling/roof.

I have had both in my house. With the ventless heater I always had to have the windows cracked to get the moisture out of the house. With the vented heater everything stays dry and my floor dries out much faster too.

As far as safety, you should be fine with either one. Just make sure the heater you get has an oxygen depletion sensor to shut down the heater if there gets to be too much carbon monoxide. And of course, a carbon monoxide detector is recommended also.

Chris go for a direct vent unit. The safest. For every gallon of fuel burned in a vent free there is one half gallon of moisture released into the house. Vent free units are not even legal to install into a home in Minnesota. What does that tell you? I know you'll see them for sale in stores but they can sell them but not install them. As for a natural vent or "B" vented unit; well there better then a vent free. They use room air for combustion and a Direct vent unit uses outside air for combustion. The direct vent units are 100% sealed making them the safest. I would also suggest getting a unit that has a millivolt valve on it. Instead of a modulating valve. With a millivolt system you can use a actual thermostat and control the heat better in your shack. Modulating valves are set at a " comfort level". Its hard to regulate the temperature in the shack with these type units.

Thanks for all of the posts, there was alot of good information. actually just went out and got a direct vent heater. i am pretty sure that 18,000 btus will be plenty for a 6.5 x 14. am i correct? thanks again