• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tiling counter top

bucketmouth64

Yes it can be done. You will need to install some type of cement backer board to the laminate counter top. Before you install the tile you will want to determine what type of edge moulding your are going to use. A bull nose tile piece or some type of wood will work.

I think your asking for troubles later on going over the laminate.

Id remove the current top. there should be a 1x that is attached to your cabinets front and back that the top is connected to that will need to come off as well.

put 2 layers of 3/4" medium density fiber board on. attaching the first layer to the cabinets as the 1x's were. then use water proof white glue and screws to hold down the top layer. the front edge of the MDF should stick out beond the cabinets front 3/4" to the front of the drawers/doors. then adding the edging either wood or tile will allow drips to hit the floor and not roll down the fronts of the cabinets. if using a wood edging, remember to raise it the thickness of the tile (flush) and use glue and finish nails to attach and put 2-3 coats of finish on it before you tile.

the only part left is tiling, assuming you know how to cut tile, fit all the tiles first, cutting all the nesasary pc's, then put on the thinset using the required notched trowl and tile away. if your doing the wall behind the cabinets, do that first. grout all at one time.

I would do as minneman says except use 3/4" exterior grade plywood and then a layer of 1/2" tile backer such as Durock or equivelant. Trowel thinset on the plywood with a 1/4x1/4x1/4 trowel and nail with glavanized roofing nails or durock screws, using a cement board will give the thinset a much better bond as well as protect from water damage, and I can't think of a mortar that is approved to be used over MDF. I have seen it done over the existing laminate, I would not recommend this as your tile bond is only as good as the laminate was installed. Do it right and only do it once, stay away from mastics as well as they are not rated for any areas that may see water.

Good luck and it's a fun project.