• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions on Rod Holders

hanson

I hate to ask my walleye fishing friends for advice but here it goes.

I'm putting some more rod holders on my boat for catfishing. I'm going to put RAMs on the boat, no question about that. What I'm wondering is if you guys have a preference between the RAMs that have the RAM arm attached to them, or the RAMs that have the rigid post??? I know... tough decision.

I'm installing chrome grab rails behind the console (sim. to what a Ranger would have). The rod holders will then mount to the grab rail which will allow more adjustability and I won't have permanent rod holder bases mounted to the boat.

Just wondering if anyone has used both style of RAMs, and if you have a preference??

I also have not used the "traditional" RAMs with the tension arm and 2 RAM balls. I don't think I'd go with that style though. I have my electronics on RAMs and when you loosen the tension you get movement / adjustment at both the top and the bottom at the same time. I don't think I'd like that with a rodholder with one of my rod/reels in it. The solid arm ones adjust horizontally and vertically, I would think they'd give you all the adjustment you'd ever need.

In my boat I have grab rails both in front of and behind the console, with rail mounts for my Tempress Fish-On rodholders. It works great, I highly recommend it. The solid arm RAMs will be essentially the same thing.

Every so often I run across a channel cat that likes my crankbaits, so I can even say they work good for catfish trolling (that's how you fish them, isn't it hanson wink.gif )

Thanks for the opinions guys.

1 major benefit of the sold post style is cost! There is a big cost difference between the two. I already have 2 bulkhead mounted RAM rod holders off the back of my boat, now I'm looking at options for the gunwhales on both sides. Us cat guys LOVE rod holders! smile.gif

One thing I am concerned about with the arm & ball style is how well they actually will stay put under a significant load. When a 20lb channel cat hits your bait with an engaged reel, it'll shake the boat. smile.gif I don't want the rod holder to twist or move when a big cat hits a circle hook.

If I fish the Red River or the Mississippi border water with a couple guys in the boat, thats 6 rods total that can be in the water and you need to have them positioned just right.

I don't dare say it but these rod holders may also see some walleye trolling duty. blush.gif

I have a Rod Holder Question as well...

I've got a wide back deck, and I've been itching to attach Rod holders to it... Thing is that sometimes I cast from that back deck as well...

I'm wondering if there is a type of rod holder that can say be removed... Like there's a clip, or a socket or what-have-you that allows you to remove the bulk of the rodholder, so that it isn't a tripping hazard when I want to cast from that back deck.

Yet at the same time I'm looking for something that's strong enough to handle a little Musky Trolling.

Sorry if my question seems uninformed... I've only been a boat owner for 1 season so far.

Dances with Walleye-

Most rod holders consist of 2 pieces, the rod holder & the mounting base. The rod holder drops into the base, you rotate it around 180 degrees, and it "keys" in good & solid. So the rod holders are removeable, you just have a bunch of bases attached to your boat.

The rod holder bases are typically flush mount or side mount, depending on where & how you are going to mount them.

Here is a picture of a side mount base:

RAM114BM.jpg

Here is a picture of a flush mount base:

RAM114FM.jpg

You'll have to find a spot on your boat where permanently attaching these bases is acceptable. The side mount bases can attach to grab rails as well with an additional backing plate.

Most manufacturers have the same style of connection between rod holder and base so rod holders are interchangeable between manufacturers- Cabelas, Scotty, Ram, Fish-On, Tempress, etc.

Quote:

Dances with Walleye-

Most rod holders consist of 2 pieces, the rod holder & the mounting base. The rod holder drops into the base, you rotate it around 180 degrees, and it "keys" in good & solid. So the rod holders are removeable, you just have a bunch of bases attached to your boat.

The rod holder bases are typically flush mount or side mount, depending on where & how you are going to mount them.

Here is a picture of a side mount base:

RAM114BM.jpg

Here is a picture of a flush mount base:

RAM114FM.jpg

You'll have to find a spot on your boat where permanently attaching these bases is acceptable. The side mount bases can attach to grab rails as well with an additional backing plate.

Most manufacturers have the same style of connection between rod holder and base so rod holders are interchangeable between manufacturers- Cabelas, Scotty, Ram, Fish-On, Tempress, etc.

Thanks Bro... that was exactly what I was looking for!!

You'd be amazed how many people I've asked who sent me on wild goose chases towards plastic products!