• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morel hunting

8right

I'm kind of curious- when I was growing up my folks had some mushrooms that sprout in the spring that looked like morels (from what I know now), but they had a foul odor. My dad called them "stink horns", and I was advised to keep my mitts off of them. Could these have been morels?

NO! That is an entirely different shroom. It looks mucj like a morel but if you flip it over it will look black and geasy. They do smell as well. They usually last only for a couple of days and die quick. Not sure the real name of them but I have seen them in places including my yard!

St, I lived in a cabin on the Echo trail. Right behind it was a North facing ridge. The bottom between the house and the rock ridge had sandy soil? The house blocked the sun. I don't remember what the tree/brush cover consisted of, but it was dense and shaded. I was under the impression that the builder used a common sandy gravel mix for the house pad? But that seems weird because Morels don't like disturbed soil? When I was there I found 4, left 1.

The next people to live there found some the next year.